Calgary, AB,
06
November
2014
|
05:01
America/Denver

Calgary Fire Crews Evacuate Office Building in the Core

 

 

 

The Calgary Fire Department was called to the 200 block of 4th avenue South West for a gas leak shortly after 8:00 pm this evening. First arriving crews could immeadiately smell a strong oduor of natural gas and began to isolate the area with the assistance of the Calgary Police Service. Crews activated the alarm system of the affected office building and evacuated all workers.A qiuck investigation revealed that a 4 inch gas line had been struck by a forklift being operated by onsite construction crews in the parkade area. Calgary Fire crews were able to shut down the affected line, then ventilated the structure and monitored progress with the aid of gas detection instrumentation.4th avenue east bound was shut down at 2nd street for the duration of this event. No injuries were reported and the building care has since been returned to the property management company. Vehicular traffic has been restored to normal on 4 th avenue.

                                                                                                 -30-