Calgary fire crews respond to E-scooter fire at business on Bowness Road NW

At approximately 2:40 on the afternoon of Monday, October 23, calls were made to 9-1-1 reporting a possible explosion in a business located at the 6300 block of Bowness Road N.W.  On arrival, fire crews found a business with substantial smoke inside. The business owner had just taken some garbage outside and came back in to lock up and leave for the day when the battery of an E-scooter being charged, suddenly exploded and burst into flame. The owner deployed his fire extinguisher which suppressed the fire enough so that he could quickly evacuate without inhaling more  toxic smoke.  Fire crews completed the extinguishment and brought the E-scooter outside.   Several neighbouring businesses  were also affected by the smoke and needed to be temporarily evacuated. 

No injuries were reported as a result of this fire. Fire crews ventilated and checked levels of CO before allowing the building  and businesses to be reoccupied.  This was a close call and thanks to the quick actions of the business owner, greater damage was prevented.

Lithium -ion batteries are a growing fire concern due to their increasingly wide spread use.  Lithium-ion batteries supply power to many kinds of devices including smart phones, laptops, e-scooters and e-bikes, e-cigarettes, smoke alarms, toys,  power tools and cars. If not used correctly, or if damaged, these batteries can catch on fire or explode.  

The Calgary Fire Department would like to share the following tips for safe use and storage of lithium-ion batteries:

Handle lithium-ion batteries carefully. Do not throw, modify or tamper with them. Check for signs of damage, and don't use batteries that:

  • are swollen or dented
  • have torn, plastic wrappers
  • show other signs of damage or wear
  • have an odour, change in colour or have too much heat

Keep your batteries in a safe place, out of sight and reach from children. If you carry batteries with you, keep them in a protective, non-metal case.

Keep batteries stored in a dry location at room temperature. Do not:

  • leave batteries out in the sun or in a hot or cold car
  • let moisture form on either end of the battery's terminals
  • DO NOT put lithium-ion batteries in the garbage.  You can find a list of recycling retailers at Call2Recycle.


  • Do not charge your battery for longer than the recommended charging time. Overcharging can cause your battery to overheat, which can lead to fires or explosions.
  • Charge your device at room temperature where you can see it. Soft surfaces, like a couch or bed, can trap heat around the battery and cause the device to overheat.
  • Charge your battery before it drops below 30% to help it last longer and work safely. Do not keep it plugged in and charged at 100% for long periods.
  • Do not stack heavy objects on top of the boxes containing lithium-ion batteries. Damaged batteries can cause internal short circuits, which can lead to an explosion.
  • Unlike older types of batteries, you do not need to fully discharge lithium-ion batteries. This may actually harm them.
  • Charge your product away from exit doors in case of fire.

Original and replacement chargers

  • Use the charger that came with your device. If you need to replace your charger, buy it from a trusted source and make sure the voltage and current are compatible with your device.
  • Contact the original product manufacturer if you need a replacement charger for higher voltage items like e-bikes, remote control cars and power tools.

For more fire safety information, please visit