Calgary, AB,
10
November
2016

Calgary fire crews extinguish downtown high-rise fire

At approximately 12:40 this afternoon, Calgary fire crews were called to a high-rise at 425 1 Street S.W. for reports of a fire on the 35th floor. When firefighters arrived, they found a small fire in the electrical room. The fire was in an electrical panel which controlled some of the elevators in the building. It was quickly extinguished by fire crews using a dry chemical fire extinguisher.

Several hundred occupants of the east tower building were evacuated as a precaution. A total of 13 people were trapped in several elevators due to the electrical fire. Firefighters and Otis elevator technicians worked together to free everyone.

Fire damage was limited to the room of origin with some smoke migrating to other areas of the 35th floor. The smoke was cleared from the building using ventilation and every floor was assessed for air quality. Tenants were let back in once the building was deemed safe to reenter.

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident and the fire is not considered suspicious.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens that you should familiarize yourself with your employer's and your building's emergency procedures. It is very important for the safety of everyone in your building that evacuation plans are followed calmly and quickly. Never use the elevator during a fire alarm unless under the direction of the fire department. Know your muster point and keep away from the building to allow fire crews to do their work unimpeded.

-30-

Media Relations Info
photo:Calgary Fire Department, Carol Henke
Calgary Fire Department, Carol Henke
Public Information Officer
Latest news
Share this release
Share on: Twitter
Share on: Facebook
Share on: LinkedIn