Calgary, AB,

Vault Fire Causes Power Outages

Calgary Fire and Enmax have responded to a vault fire at the intersection of 7 Ave and 9th Street, which has caused a power outage in the downtown core. The fire has been successfully extinguished by Calgary Fire, and they are currently assessing the situation. Enmax crews are also on-site assessing the damage and will continue to update restoration information via ENMAX.

Due to the ongoing power outage, several downtown streets are closed for safety reasons. Please avoid traveling through the affected areas, including segments of 6 Ave., 7 Ave., 8 Ave., and 9 Ave. S.W., spanning from 3 Street to 11 Street S.W.

City crews have successfully restored traffic lights along 4th Ave, 5th Ave, 6th Ave, and 7th Ave, along 4th St SW. They are actively assessing other affected traffic lights in the area to help minimize disruptions during the morning commute.  Thank you for your patience as we work to ensure safety affected areas.

Staying safe during a power outage

  • Use flashlights instead of candles
  • Turn off or disconnect any electrical appliances and equipment to prevent damage from overload when power is restored.
  • Use extra blankets to stay warm while power is being restored.
  • Keep a cell phone handly to stay informed on the status of the power outage. Alternatively, listen to a battery-powered or wind-up radio for information.
  • Keep one light plugged in and switched on so – you know when the power comes back on.
  • Do not use camp stoves, kerosene heaters or barbeques indoors, as they emit carbon monoxide. Gas stoves used as a heat source for long periods of time without ventilation will do the same.
  • Limit how often you open and close your refrigerator and freezer doors to help food stay cool. Additionally, use a cooler filled with ice or snow to keep food cold.