Calgary, AB,
15
April
2015
|
18:14
America/Denver

Smoke Alarm wakes resident up to NW chimney fire

 

 

 

At approximately 9:45 this morning, a resident on Brenner Drive NW awoke to the beeping of the smoke alarm and a home filled with smoke. The resident quickly evacuated and called 911. On arrival, Calgary fire crews found a fire in the chimney of a townhouse at 3600 Brenner Drive NW. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and searched for any fire extension using the Thermal Imaging Camera. Three residents have been temporarily displaced as a result of the damage form the fire and smoke. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.  A Calgary Fire Department Fire Investigator is on scene to determine the exact cause.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the following safety tips when using indoor wood burning fireplaces:

  • Have all fireplaces/chimneys professionally cleaned  and serviced on an annual basis
  • Only use dry seasoned wood and never burn wood that has paint, stains, glue or resins on it 
  • When lighting a fire, ensure to have a fresh air intake
  • Never leave a fire unattended
  • Keep combustibles away from the fireplace
  • Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the fireplace and use a screen
  • Ensure you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home
  • Dispose of cooled ashes in a metal container and store outside the home

-30-