Calgary, AB,
24
January
2019
|
23:07
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to south east building fire and smoking material found as the cause

Shortly after 8:30 this morning, Calgary fire crews were called to the 2800 block of 58 Avenue S.E. for reports of a building fire. Two employees in the business smelled smoke, went to investigate and discovered the fire. They left the building and called 9-1-1. On arrival at the scene, firefighters encountered heavy smoke in the two businesses which are located side by side in the same building. The fire had breached a window between them, spreading the smoke throughout.

Fire crews quickly knocked down the fire which was in the shop area of a landscaping business. Fans were used to ventilate the building of smoke and toxic gases. 

The two employees had self evacuated prior to fire crews' arrival on scene and no injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Fire investigators arrived on scene and spent several hours investigating and interviewing employees. Investigators will be receiving video footage from the business owners depicting the onset of the fire. The video footage has been described as showing the cause to be accidental and as a result of the improper disposal of smoking material.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind smokers of the following:

  • If you smoke, always use a deep, sturdy and non combustible receptacle that contains water or sand.
  • Before you throw away butts and ashes, make sure they are out by soaking in water 
  • Do not discard cigarettes in vegetation such as mulch, potted plants or landscaping, peat moss, dried grasses, leaves or other things that could ignite easily.

For more information on fire safety and fire prevention, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire

-30-