Calgary, AB,
12
February
2020
|
19:23
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to north west recreation centre for ammonia leak

At approximately 9:20 on Wednesday morning, Calgary fire crews were called to a recreation centre located at 11300 Rockey Ridge Road N. W. for the activation of their alarm system. An ammonia leak in the refrigeration room was detected and triggered the alarm. Fire crews including a hazardous materials team quickly arrived and commenced an evacuation of the building. 

The source of the ammonia leak, a compressor, was shut down and the room was ventilated. Approximately 200 people were evacuated form the building and Calgary Transit busses were brought on site to provide temporary shelter for the evacuees.

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident and the building's monitoring devices and alarms worked exactly as intended for these types of emergency situations. The public were allowed back in approximately an hour after the incident began. 

-30-