Calgary, AB,
04
February
2019
|
23:25
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to building fire on Southampton Drive S.W.

At approximately 12:45 on Monday afternoon, February 4, 2019, Calgary fire crews were called to a multi-family residential building for a structure fire. The call came in to 9-1-1 from the alarm company that stated the fire alarm system in the building had been activated as a result of smoke in a hallway. When fire crews arrived on scene, they encountered smoke coming from the fireplace of a suite on the third floor. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and checked for extension. One man in his 40s was assessed by EMS and not transported to hospital.

The lone occupant of the suite had fallen asleep after starting a fire in the wood burning fireplace. The significant smoke was a result of attempting to burn an artificial Christmas tree in the fireplace. This created excess heat and smoke which extended into the hallway and activated the building's fire and life safety system. There were no smoke alarms inside the suite.

The Calgary fire Department would like to remind citizens that working smoke alarms save lives. It is recommended that smoke alarms be placed on every level of the home and both inside and outside of sleeping areas. Test alarms monthly, change batteries annually and replace alarms after 10 years. For best protection, interconnect all of your alarms.

When using a wood burning fire place, burn only dry seasoned wood, ensure you have a fresh air intake and have fireplaces cleaned and inspected annually. Ensure you have working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms on every level of the home. Carbon monoxide alarms should be tested monthly, and replaced according to the manufacturer's instructions.

For more information of fire prevention and fire safety, visit www.calgary.ca/fire

-30-