Calgary, AB,
17
November
2015
|
23:50
America/Denver

Townhouse owners plead guilty to fire code violations

Today, W.R.E. Development (Calgary) Ltd., pled guilty to four charges under the Safety Codes Act for violations of the Alberta Fire Code. Charges were for failing to ensure two units within the Glenbrook Village townhouse complex were equipped with smoke alarms that were properly inspected and tested. They have been charged a $32,200 fine.

“Ensuring rental units meet the Alberta Fire Code is a priority for the Calgary Fire Department,” said Calgary Fire Marshal Ed Kujat. “All renters have a right to live in a safe home, protected under the Fire Code. Owners are legally accountable to understand and meet their obligations, as outlined in the Fire Code. If a rental property does not meet the standards of the Alberta Fire Code, it must not be rented.”

On October 30, 2014, the Calgary Fire Department responded to a fire at the complex located at 4915 35 Avenue S.W. Four residents suffered from smoke inhalation and one from minor burns. The tenants were in bed at the time of the fire and there were no working smoke alarms in their unit. Further investigation following the fire found a second unit without working smoke alarms.

“Most fatal fires occur at night when people are asleep,” said Kujat. “It is important to have at least one smoke detector on every level of your home, preferably in the hallway near your bedrooms to wake you in case of fire.”

The Calgary Fire Department continually works to prevent and reduce injuries and death through inspections as well as education.  If renters, landlords or prospective landlords have questions or concerns about rental properties and safety codes, please contact 3-1-1.