Calgary, AB,
11
March
2015
|
22:07
America/Denver

Calgary Fire Department fights kitchen fire in Pineridge

 

 

 

At approximately 2:15 this afternoon, 911 received a call from a resident on Pinemont Gate NE stating that flames were visible coming from the kitchen window of a duplex nearby. Two occupants evacuated after being alerted by the neighbour who had called 911 to report the fire. When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke was visible coming from the residence. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control, limiting damage predominantly to the kitchen area. There is smoke damage throughout the unit and firefighters needed to search for fire extension in the walls and ceiling. One of the occupants was assessed on scene by AHS. The four residents of that unit will be displaced for some time. A Calgary Fire Department Fire Investigator is on scene and has determined that the fire is accidental and related to cooking left unattended.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind Calgarians of the following cooking safety tips:

  • Do not leave cooking unattended. Check on your cooking regularly and use a timer to remind you that the stove or oven are on
  • If you must leave the kitchen when you are cooking, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove and remove the pot from the burner
  • To prevent overheating and ignition of cooking oil, fry foods in a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer or skillet designed for maximum temperature of 200 degrees Celsius
  • Keep children and pets away from cooking areas by enforcing a one metre "kid free zone" around the stove

-30-