Calgary, AB,
14
February
2019
|
02:01
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to Coral Springs for an explosion

 

At approximately 1:00 p.m. on Thursday February 14, Calgary fire crews were called to a home in Coral Springs for a possible explosion. The caller to 9-1-1 stated that something sounding like an explosion was heard on the second level of the house. When the occupant went upstairs, the bathroom door had been blown off of its hinges and some towels in the bathroom were on fire. The resident called 9-1-1 and extinguished the flames.

When fire crews arrived on the scene, they found the remnants of a small fire and evidence of an explosion. There were no injuries reported as a result of this incident as nobody was upstairs at the time it occurred. After completing his investigation at the scene, the fire investigator determined that a hair dryer which had been plugged in, created enough heat to cause an aerosol dry shampoo can sitting nearby to explode with substantial force.

The bathroom sustained damage to the door, cabinet and bathtub tiles as a result of the blast. The investigation will now focus on the hair dryer to determine any possible malfunction of the appliance.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to share some fire prevention tips:

  • Always unplug appliances such as curling irons, flat irons and hair dryers when not in use
  • When done using appliances which create heat, place them on a hard non combustible surface and away from anything that can burn, until they have cooled down
  • Use extreme caution with aerosol cans as they can cause a dangerous explosion if heated
  • Always read the manufacturers instructions and warnings on all household products
  • Ensure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home​

For more fire safety information, visit www.calgary.ca/fire

                                                                                                                 -30-