Calgary, AB,
19
June
2020
|
23:58
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to carbon monoxide incident sending five to hospital

At approximately 11:30 on Friday June 19th, Calgary fire crews were called to a multi story residential building located on Springborough Court South West for medical call. The caller to 9-1-1 indicated that there was an unconscious male in the parkade. When fire crews arrived on scene, they discovered that workers had been in the underground parkade cleaning it using gas powered pressure washers. All personnel were evacuated from the parkade and care of the patient was transferred to EMS.  In total, five people were transported by EMS to an area hospital as a result of carbon monoxide exposure.

When fire crews took portable gas monitors into the parkade to further investigate, they discovered carbon monoxide levels of up to 1200 parts per million (ppm) in some areas. 

Firefighters ventilated the area to reduce and ultimately eliminate the carbon monoxide. Occupational Health and Safety have been requested to attend the scene. 

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens that carbon monoxide is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell. It is often called “the invisible killer.” It is created when fossil fuels such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane, or wood don’t burn completely. CO gas can kill people and pets.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can result from cars left running in garages or from malfunctioning or improperly vented portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or furnaces or other heating appliances.

Headache, nausea, and drowsiness are symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Exposure to carbon monoxide can be fatal.

Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.

For more information on carbon monoxide safety please visit calgary.ca/fire

-30-