Calgary, AB,

Calgary fire crews fight south east kitchen fire which injures one person

At 9:55 on Wednesday morning October 6, Calgary fire crews were called to a home at the 2200 block of 39 Street S.E. for reports of a kitchen fire. When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke was coming from the front door. Two occupants were waiting out in front and two other occupants had evacuated out the rear of the house. One resident sustained burn injuries and was assessed and transported to an area hospital by EMS.

When fire crews entered the home, they encountered a kitchen fully involved with fire. After a quick knockdown of the flames and getting the fire under control, firefighters searched the home for any other occupants as well as one cat and 10 snakes which were unaccounted for. The cat was found alive and the snakes, which were in one of the bedrooms, also survived the fire.

A Calgary Fire Department Fire Investigator attended the scene and determined that the fire started on the stove as a result of cooking oil which had overheated and ignited, spreading flames to the rest of the kitchen. One resident in his 50’s attempted to fight the fire with a fire extinguisher but due to the amount of fire and heat, sustained burn injuries to the front of his body. There were no working smoke alarms in the house. All four tenants will be displaced for an indeterminate amount of time due to the significant fire and smoke damage to the house.

October 3rd – 9th 2021 is Fire Prevention Week and the Calgary Fire Department uses this week annually to emphasize the importance of fire prevention and fire safety. This year’s theme is “Learn the Sights and Sounds of Fire Safety”. For more information on how you and your family can practice fire safety and fire prevention all year long, please visit

For more information on Fire Prevention Week, visit