Calgary, AB,
11
May
2016
|
00:16
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews fight kitchen fire and find over 25 cats

At approximately 12:40 this afternoon, Calgary fire crews were called to a house on Eringrove Close S.E. for reports of a kitchen fire. A neighbour, making lunch for her mother, saw what she thought looked like a flickering red glow coming from the kitchen window next door. She went to her neighbour's house and knocked on the door. Nobody was at home and by the time she went back to her own kitchen, she could see actual flames, at which point she called 911.

Upon arrival, fire crews quickly had the fire, which originated in the kitchen, under control. A search of the residence found no people inside however over 25 cats and one dog were found alive. The fire resulted in moderate damage to the kitchen with smoke damage throughout the main floor of the home.

Firefighters searching the home found less than desirable living conditions and thus Environmental Health Officers from Alberta Health Services were called to the scene. Officers from Community Standards as well as the Calgary Humane Society were also requested to attend.

After an investigation of the premises, an order stating the house is unfit for human habitation has been posted by AHS. Peace Officers from the Calgary Humane Society will be removing all of the cats and caring for them. The family is being cooperative with the ongoing process of removal.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire and the Fire Investigator has determined the fire originated on the stove.

-30-