Calgary, AB,

Calgary fire crews battle two alarm house fire in Haysboro

At approximately 11:40 a.m.on Friday March 09, 9-1-1 received a call that there was a fire in a house on Hillgreen Place S.W. When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke and flames were visible from the exterior. The response was upgraded to a second alarm for additional resources.

Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames and prevented damage to neighbouring buildings. The fire had extended into the attic and caused significant damage to the main floor with smoke damage throughout the home. 

A man and his elderly dog evacuated the residence prior to fire crews arriving on scene. The occupant was alerted to the fire by working smoke alarms. He was assessed by on scene EMS personnel for smoke inhalation as a result  of his attempt to fight the fire.

One neighbour was evacuated as a precaution due to existing health concerns. Two adults and a dog are displaced as a result of this fire.

The fire investigator who attended the scene has determined that the fire was accidental in nature and was a result of cooking oil which had reached its ignition temperature, burst into flames and quickly spread within the kitchen and into the attic.

Kitchen fires are the most common type of preventable fire that the Calgary Fire Department responds to on a daily basis.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to share the following cooking safety information:

  • Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food.
  • Always keep a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a fire starts, smother the flames by sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan until it has cooled.

  • Never pour water on a grease fire

  • When in doubt, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. After you leave, call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or a neighbor’s telephone.

For more home fire safety information, please visit