Calgary, AB,
14
January
2020
|
01:05
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews fight two alarm fire in Beddington Heights

Shortly after 11:00 on Tuesday morning, Calgary fire crews were dispatched to a house on Bermondsey Way NW for reports of a house fire. The caller to 9-1-1 stated that there was a fire in the basement and that one resident might be having difficulty getting out. 

When fire crews arrived on scene, the were met with a house full of smoke with fire in the basement. Two adults evacuated prior to CFD arrival on scene. One adult male was assessed by EMS for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported

Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire however damage to the the basement is extensive. The fire burned up through the floor into one room on the main floor causing structural concerns for fire crews. There is also smoke damage throughout. Utilities to the house have been shut off and there was no damage to neighbouring structures.

A fire investigator at the scene has determined that the fire was accidental in nature and was due to the use of an open flame to thaw frozen pipes. Unfortunately this caused other nearby combustibles to ignite and fire to grow and spread quickly.

Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the following safety tips for your family and home:

  • Ensure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home. Test them every month
  • Have a home escape plan with a designated meeting place and make sure everyone in the family is aware of what to do in an emergency
  • When using space heaters, keep three feet (one metre) clearance from anything that can burn and turn them off when leaving the room or going to bed
  • Ensure your furnace and exhaust vents are free of snow and ice. Carbon monoxide (CO) can build up within your home if the vents are blocked. CO is colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-irritating. If undetected, it can be lethal
  • Never use barbecues, camping heaters, gas or coal stoves or a generator indoors. Only use them outdoors and away from windows and doors
  • If you suspect you have frozen plumbing, heat them with a hair dryer. Never use open flames or torches. Leave the faucet on while you apply heat. 

For more information on home safety visit www.calgary.ca/fire 

-30-