City announces initial recreation programming and facility locations to reopen while ensuring safety of citizens and staff
On June 29, The City of Calgary will reopen four ice rinks: George Blunden, Optimist, Stew Hendry and Henry Viney. The Norma Bush, Shouldice and Stu Peppard arenas are currently open with dry pads for non-ice sports.
By July 20, The City will reopen Bob Bahan, Canyon Meadows, Glenmore and Killarney aquatic and fitness centres. All facilities will have COVID-19 health and safety protocols for staff along with user terms and conditions in place.
As of June 26, all City-operated golf courses will have reopened along with driving ranges and putting greens. The Glenmore Reservoir reopened for public recreational use on June 15. The Glenmore Sailing School remains closed and boat rentals are not available this summer. Tennis courts, running tracks, playfields and 21 sports fields and the cycling velodrome are currently open.
Four locations for spray parks and wading pools will open in early July. Visit calgary.ca/sprayparks for the latest information.
In establishing procedures for reopening facilities, public and staff safety is a top priority, says Michelle Tait, Superintendent, Calgary Recreation.
“The public can expect a different experience when they return to City-operated recreation facilities. We are helping to ensure the safety of staff and customers by introducing COVID-19 user terms and conditions in alignment with provincial public health guidelines. These include access by appointment, physical distancing, gathering restrictions, hand hygiene and staying home if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.”
Many factors were considered in choosing dates and locations for opening facilities including available staffing resources and facility readiness. Calgary Recreation laid off 75 per cent of its operational workforce in the spring and is now working to increase capacity to bring more amenities online. To leverage downtime during the mandated closures and stimulate the local economy, planned capital and lifecycle work was expedited at select sites, impacting facility readiness in some cases. Public demand and the geographic distribution of services were also considered.
This summer, The City is offering outdoor day camps for children ages six to 12 along with free family programming. Registration for outdoor summer day camps begins today with programming starting July 6. For more information, visit calgary.ca/daycamps. The City’s selection of free summer programs will take place in different locations across Calgary. These programs are for families and children to play in parks and learn about nature, all while being physically distant. For more information, visit calgary.ca/free.
For further details on the reopening of additional City-operated recreation facilities, visit calgary.ca/recreation. For information about City-owned, partner-operated facilities, including outdoor pools, please visit the facility operators’ websites.
Aquatic and fitness centres:
- Bob Bahan (S.E.) – opening by July 20
- Canyon Meadows (S.W.) – opening by July 20
- Glenmore (S.W.) – opening by July 20
- Killarney (S.W.) – opening by July 20
- George Blunden (S.W.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Henry Viney (N.E.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Norma Bush (N.W.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Optimist (S.W.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Shouldice (N.W.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Stew Hendry (N.E.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Stu Peppard (S.W.) – opening by June 29 (booking now open)
- Ed Whalen (S.W.) – opening by August 4
- Jimmy Condon (S.W.) – opening by August 4
- Joseph Kryczka (S.W.) – opening by August 4
- Max Bell 1 and 2 (S.E.) – opening by August 4
- Rose Kohn (S.E.) – opening by August 4
- Note: Remaining arenas to open in September
Spray parks and wading pools:
- Bowness Park Wading Pool (N.W.) – opening early July
- Prairie Winds Park Spray Park and Wading Pool (N.E.) – opening early July
- Rotary Park Spray Park (N.E.) – opening early July
- South Glenmore Park Spray Park (Variety Park) (S.W.) – opening early July
Athletic park sports fields:
- 25 fields in seven athletic parks – opened June 1 - 24
- Glenmore (S.W.), Shouldice (N.E.), Optimist (S.W.), Ernest Manning (S.W.), Calgary Soccer Centre (S.E.), Foothills (N.W.) and Woodbine (S.W.)
- Remaining athletic parks to open by July/August (check calgary.ca/recreation for fields available for booking)
Outdoor summer day camps – registration begins June 25:
- Outdoor Summer Art Studio 2020 (ages 6-12) – enjoy a variety of drawing, painting and mixed media in our outdoor greenspace
- Outdoor Active 2020 (ages 6-12) – enjoy active games, sports, crafts and outdoor adventures
Free summer programs:
- Nice 2 Metre You – Family Fun
- Community Nature Adventure Playground
- Unplug n’ Play 6 feet away
- Explore Parks Together
- LEAD and Nature LEAD