Calgary, AB,
17
July
2015
|
22:24
America/Denver

Carbon Monoxide concerns force temporary evacuation of senior’s residence

 

 

 

At approximately 10:00 this morning the Calgary Fire Department was called to the 9200 block of 16 St SW to investigate a reported carbon monoxide (CO) alarm.  Upon arrival, CFD crews found a 3 story senior’s complex with the manager outside to meet them.  The manager stated that there was an audible CO alarm in the basement.  CFD crews donned Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and entered the building to investigate.  Investigating crews found dangerously high levels of CO in the basement and the decision was made to evacuate the building.  With the assistance of building staff, residents were relocated to a community centre across the street.  Fire crews were able to quickly locate and contain the leak; consequently, the evacuation process was discontinued.  It was later determined that the elevated levels of CO were caused by a faulty heat exchanger in the mechanical room.  A total of 41 of the 131 residents were temporarily displaced.  There were no reports of injury however, 2 concerned people were accessed by AHS but did not require treatment.  Traffic in the area is unaffected at this time.  The senior’s home is now fully re-occupied and operating normally.