Calgary, AB,
04
July
2019
|
01:24
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to Forest Lawn kitchen fire

At approximately 2:30 on Thursday afternoon July 4, Calgary fire crews were called to a duplex in Forest Lawn for a report of an an injured person as a result of an accidental kitchen fire. A resident at the home was visiting with a friend and had planned to cook french fries. He started to heat oil on the stove and left the kitchen, intending to return shortly.

 A working smoke alarm alerted the occupants that there was a fire in the home. When they heard the alarm, they immediately went to the kitchen, found flames coming from the pot on the stove with fire spreading to the cabinets. The resident tried to move the pot and as a result, sustained burns to his hand.

When fire crews arrived on scene, they found fire in the kitchen. The fire had extended into the cabinets and firefighters quickly extinguished it.

The injured man was transported by EMS to an area hospital.

A fire investigator attended the scene to find the origin and cause of the fire. The fire was detemined to be as a result of cooking with oil which ignited.

Cooking fires as a result of unattended cooking are the most common type of home fires Caglary fire crews respond to every day in the city. The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of what to do in the event of a cooking fire.

  • Always keep a lid and oven mitt nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by sliding the lid over the pan.
  • Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan has cooled.
  • Never pour water on a cooking pan grease fire.
  • When in doubt, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. After you leave, call 9-1-1
  • Never leave cooking unattended

Fore more information on fire safety please visit calgary.ca/fire 

-30-