Calgary fire crews rescue woman from building fire in north east
At approximately 9:10 on Wednesday morning December 12, a call was placed to 9-1-1 regarding a fire in a multi family residential building at the 400 block of 64 Avenue N.E. The caller to 9-1-1 also indicated that there may be a person trapped in the building. When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke was showing from one of the units. They found a woman in a second floor bedroom which was filling with smoke as she had been unable to self evacuate in time. Firefighters quickly put up a ladder and rescued the woman out of the second floor bedroom window. She was then transferred to EMS for assessment.
Fire crews quickly extinguished the fire which appears to have originated in the basement. Fire damage to the building was contained to the source unit however there was some smoke damage to a neighbouring unit. Fire crews did not find any other occupants in the building. Smoke alarms were working and audible when fire crews arrived on scene.
A fire investigator has been called to the scene to determine the exact origin and cause of the fire. This fire is being considered accidental in nature.
Working smoke alarms save lives. Test your smoke alarms monthly, change the battery annually and replace smoke alarms when they reach 10 years of age. For more information on fire prevention and fire safety, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire