Calgary fire crews fight early morning house fire in Sandstone
At approximately 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday April 9th, the Calgary Fire Department (CFD) responded to a 9-1-1 call for a house fire in the 300 block of Sandstone Drive N.W. A neighbour across the street on his way to work noticed the fire and called it in.
On arrival, fire crews found smoke and flames coming from the rear of a single-story residence. Crews quickly extinguished the fire and searched the home. Nobody was found inside and neighboring homes were also evacuated.
The fire caused extensive damage to the home of origin and radiant heat caused damage to the siding of two neighboring residences. There were no reported injuries to the public or firefighters.
Alberta Health Services (AHS) and Calgary Police Services (CPS) were on scene to assist with the incident. ATCO Gas and ENMAX were called to the scene to control the flow of utilities. Electricity and natural gas have been turned off to the affected residence.
Fire investigators attended the scene and are working to determine the origin and cause of the fire.
The residents on either side of the damaged structure were allowed back into their homes once firefighters tested the air quality to ensure it was safe.
Citizens are reminded to have working smoke alarms on every level of the home, test them monthly and replace alarms once they reach their 10 year lifespan. Have a home escape plan and practice it twice per year with the entire family.
Anybody who has photos, video or information regarding this fire is asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org