Calgary, AB,
09
January
2020
|
19:08
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews fight early morning fire in Harvest Hills

At approximately 6:25 on Thursday morning, 9-1-1 received calls regarding a building on fire in the backyard of a house in Harvest Hills. Arriving fire crews found a greenhouse in the back yard which was on fire with flames threatening the house on the property.  Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire preventing flames from entering the home and limiting damage to only melted siding on the exterior.

No injuries were reported as a result of this fire. The greenhouse and contents were destroyed. There was also fire damage to the nearby deck. A fire investigator attended the scene and determined that the fire was accidental in nature and related to the use of a natural gas heater which was in place to warm the greenhouse.

The resident has been allowed back into the home.

With the expected onset of colder weather, the Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the following safety tips for your family and home: 

  • Ensure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on every level of your home. Test them every month
  • Have a home escape plan with a designated meeting place and make sure everyone in the family is aware of what to do in an emergency
  • When using space heaters, keep three feet (one metre) clearance from anything that can burn and turn them off when leaving the room or going to bed
  • Ensure your furnace and exhaust vents are free of snow and ice. Carbon monoxide can build up within your home if the vents are blocked
  • Never use barbecues, camping heaters, gas or coal stoves or a generator indoors. Only use them outdoors and away from windows and doors

For more information on home safety visit www.calgary.ca/fire 

-30-