Calgary, AB,
21
April
2016
|
01:37
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews evacuate south west building due to high carbon monoxide levels

At shortly after 3:00 this afternoon, Calgary fire crews were called to the 1900 block of 31 Street S.W. for reports of carbon monoxide present in the building. On arrival, fire crews found levels as high as 140 parts per million in certain areas of the three story structure.

The 35 unit residential building was immediately evacuated while firefighters searched for a cause and started to ventilate. Workers in the parkade had been using gas powered pressure washers to clean the area resulting in a dangerous build up of carbon monoxide.

Residents were allowed back in once carbon monoxide readings returned to zero and the building was deemed safe for reentry. AHS was on scene to assess any affected residents. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.

-30-