Calgary, AB,
06
November
2019
|
17:56
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews evacuate building in Royal Oak due to carbon monoxide buildup

Just after 7:00  in the morning on Wednesday November 6,  several calls were made to 9-1-1 regarding activated carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in a four story condominium building on Royal Birch BV N.W. Calgary fire crews evacuated the building after finding carbon monoxide levels between 150 and 200 parts per million.

An investigation by firefighters into the cause found that fresh air intakes were blocked by an accumulation of ice. This caused the build-up of CO to occur. Fire crews cleared the ice and ventilated the building. Residents were allowed back in once CO levels were back at zero. No injuries have been reported as a result of this incident.

One resident had installed her own CO alarm in her unit due to previous CO incidents in the building. When her alarm activated, she called 9-1-1 and left the building. The building's CO alarms then also activated prompting the alarm company to call 9-1-1.  

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that has no colour, smell or taste. If you are exposed to high levels of CO gas, you may become sick, unconscious, suffer brain damage, or in very severe cases, even die. Having working CO alarms can alert you to the danger and save your life. Have one on every level of your home, test them monthly, change the batteries annually and replace alarms when they expire. 

November 1-7 is carbon monoxide awareness week. For more information on carbon monoxide and how to prevent CO poisoning, please visit calgary.ca/fire and atco.com 

-30-