Calgary road closures – December 14, 2015
16 Avenue N.E. will be reduced to two lanes eastbound at 1 Street N.E. on weekdays (Monday – Friday) between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. until Wednesday, Dec. 23 due to construction.
Beaverdam Road N.E. north of 6 Street N.E. will experience various lane closures between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. daily until Tuesday, Dec.15 due to construction. Flagmen personnel will be onsite directing traffic during this time.
- Aviation Rd. N.E. is closed permanently for left-in/left-out access. As part of the McKnight Boulevard widening and reconstruction project, access to Aviation Rd. N.E. has been changed to right in/right out access only for westbound traffic.
- For eastbound traffic, the left turn into Aviation Rd. N.E. has been permanently removed.
NEW: Various lane closures at the intersection of 4 Street N.W. and 20 Avenue N.W. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, December 15 due to manhole work.
144 Avenue N.W. is closed between Centre Street N and 14 Street N.W. beginning at 8 a.m. on Friday, December 11. This closure continues until 4 p.m. on Tuesday, December 15. Motorists are advised to use 176 Avenue N.W. as an alternate route. This closure accommodates water services work.
83 Street N.W. is closed between 33 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. until Spring 2016. There will be no access to Bowness Road N.W. from 16 Avenue N.W. during this closure; motorists are advised to use an alternate route.
NEW: 12 Avenue S.E. is reduced to one lane in each direction between Macleod Trail and 5 Street S.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays, and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends, starting Tuesday, December 15 and running until Wednesday, December 23, excluding Tuesday, December 22. This closure accommodates utility work.
The two right lanes of 4 Avenue S.E. are closed at 3 Street S.E. beginning at 6 a.m. on Friday, December 11. The right lane of 3 Street S.E. will also be closed south of 4 Avenue S.E. during this time. This closure continues until 5 p.m. on Monday, December 14 and accommodates demolition work.
Starting on Thursday, December 3 and continuing until late December, there will be various stages of construction with sections of roadway being closed on westbound 34 Avenue S.E. between Spiller Road and Dartmouth Road to allow for gas main upgrades. Traffic will be directed to use 36 Avenue S.E. to bypass the closures.
Starting on Wednesday, December 2 and continuing until late December, there will be various stages of construction with small sections of roadway being closed on Erlton Street between 30 Avenue S.W. and 34 Avenue S.W. to allow for gas main upgrades. Through traffic will be directed to use either Macleod Trail or 4 Street S.W. to bypass the closures. Efforts will be made to keep disruption of residential access to a minimum.
Various lane closures on northbound and southbound 52 Street S.E. at Copperfield Gate and the speed limit reduced to 50 km/h from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily starting Friday, November 27 and continuing until mid-December for new traffic signal installation.
- Eastbound Glenmore Trail east of 30 Street S.E. will have trucks hauling material roadway in off-peak hours until the end of November, related to the Glenmore Trail / Ogden Road interchange project. Flagman crews will be on site to stop all eastbound traffic as required while the trucks cross roadway. Efforts will be made to keep disruption of traffic on eastbound Glenmore Trail to a minimum. Glenmore Trail is already part of a construction zone with a reduced speed limit of 50 km/h, which will remain in effect 24/7 for duration of construction.
- The section of 30 Street S.E. between eastbound and westbound Glenmore Trail will be permanently closed starting Sunday, September 27 to allow for work related to the Glenmore Trail / Ogden Road interchange project. There will be no access to eastbound Glenmore Trail from southbound 30 Street S.E. and conversely no access to northbound 30 Street S.E. from eastbound Glenmore Trail. Traffic requiring to make these connection will be directed to use either Barlow Trail or 72 Avenue S.E. as a designated detour route.
Road A S.E. and 130 Avenue S.E. will see various closures until early December due to traffic signal work.
4 Street S.E. is closed at 9 Avenue S.E. until 10 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 2 due to construction of the National Music Centre. During the closure, there will be no access to 4 Street S.E. via 9 Avenue S.E. Motorists are advised to use 6 Avenue S.E. via 6 Street S.E. as a detour.
3 Street S.E. is reduced to one lane southbound between 6 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E. from 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily until further notice due to the Municipal Building Flood Mitigation Project. A two way traffic setup will be installed in the left northbound lane of 3 Street S.E. between 7 Avenue S.E. and 6 Avenue S.E.
ALERT: 6 Avenue S.W. reduced to one lane between 5 Street S.W. and 6 Street S.W. until 6 p.m. on December 15 due to a water main break.
NEW: 5 Street S.W. is reduced to two lanes between 11 Avenue and 12 Avenue S.W. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily beginning Tuesday, December 15 and running until Thursday, December 17. The cycle track will be maintained during this time.
5 Street S.W. will be closed between 2 Avenue S.W. and 3 Avenue S.W. beginning at 6 a.m. on Saturday, December 12. Motorists are advised to use alternate routes and expect delays during this closure. This work continues until 6 p.m. on Thursday, December 17 and accommodates major work on the Plus Fifteen structure over the roadway.
Strathcona Drive S.W. will be closed at Strathlea Crescent S.W. beginning at 5 a.m. on Saturday, December 12. This closure remains in place until 5 a.m. on Monday, December 14 and accommodates a new service utility installation. A two way set up and flagman personnel will then be in place from 5 a.m. on Monday, December 14 until 5 a.m. on Tuesday, December. 15.
13 Avenue S.W. will temporarily become one-way westbound only between 5 and 6 Street S.W until late January 2016 due to deep utility installation.
- The northbound exit ramps from Crowchild Trail S.W. to Flanders Avenue S.W. are currently closed until late 2016. Motorists will be unable to access Flanders Avenue S.W. via northbound Crowchild Trail S.W. Motorists are advised to use 33 Avenue S.W. or 50 Avenue S.W. via Crowchild Trail as alternate routes.
- Caen Avenue (from the Currie Business Park entrance to Quesnay Wood Drive) is closed to allow for the utility work necessary for the Interchange construction. This stretch of Caen Avenue will be closed until late 2016. A temporary off-ramp provides access into the Currie Business Park, from Crowchild Trail South to Battleford Avenue.
- Construction work has begun on Richard Road and eastbound Flanders Avenue. Traffic on Richard Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction (north and sound bound).
Annual Lion’s Festival of Lights
14 Street N.W. between 24 Avenue N.W. and Rosehill Drive N.W. will have slow moving traffic nightly from November 28 until January 8. Motorists should use extra care, be aware of pedestrians and reduce their speed in this area.
For more information visit Alberta Transportation’s website.
Follow The City of Calgary’s Transportation Department on Twitter for up to date information on road closures, projects and all of Transportations’ services at @yyctransport.
Visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo for up-to-date road closure and incident information.