Motorists advised of significant traffic impacts this weekend on Calgary roads
Crowchild Trail /Memorial Drive
As part of the Crowchild Trail Upgrades project, The City will be doing a concrete pour starting at 9 p.m. on Friday, June 22. The following closures and lane restrictions are required over the weekend and into next week:
- Double right-hand lane closures in each direction along Crowchild Trail between Bow Trail and Memorial Drive (Fri. at 9 p.m. – Sat. at 9 a.m.)
- Single right-hand lane closure on both northbound and southbound Crowchild Trail between Bow Trail and Memorial Drive (Sat. at 9 a.m. – Tues. at 5 a.m.)
- Closure of the following ramps:
- Southbound Crowchild Trail to eastbound Memorial Drive (Fri. at 9 p.m. – Sat. at 5 a.m.)
- Eastbound Memorial Drive (Parkdale Blvd) to southbound Crowchild Trail (Fri. at 9 p.m. – Tues. at 5 a.m.)
- Northbound Crowchild Trail to eastbound Memorial Drive (Fri. at 9 p.m. – Tues. at 5 a.m.)
Please note: Because some of these closures are expected to remain in place until 5 a.m. on Tuesday, June 26, motorists are advised to avoid the area if possible and plan alternate routes – especially during Monday’s morning and evening commutes.
Glenmore Trail S.W. & Crowchild Trail S.W. flyover
The flyover from southbound Crowchild Trail S.W. to eastbound Glenmore Trail will be closed overnight Friday and Saturday, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. nightly, so crews can complete a stormwater connection and concrete work within the median.
Vehicle traffic will continue on southbound Crowchild Trail S.W. and perform a U-turn between two medians. The U-turn detour will be signed, and a flagger will be present to direct traffic onto the northbound Crowchild Trail exit ramp for access onto eastbound Glenmore Trail S.W.
Truck and bus traffic will be detoured onto westbound Glenmore Trail and utilize the 37 Street S.W. roundabout to access eastbound Glenmore Trail S.W.
90 Avenue S.W.
The left-hand lane on westbound 90 Avenue will be closed at 14 Street S.W. from June 22 to July 4 for ATCO to decommission some existing pipes. Because this work involves excavation in the closed lane, 90 Avenue will be reduced to one lane for westbound traffic for the duration of the construction. Signage will be placed to encourage drivers to use Southland Drive and 24 Street S.W. as an alternate route.
14 Street S.W.
Southbound 14 Street S.W. will have lane reductions between 90 Avenue and Southland Drive S.W. on Friday, June 22 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. This closure accommodates construction and pump truck.
9 Avenue S.W.
9 Avenue S.W. over top of 14 Street S.W. will be reduced to a single lane beginning on Friday, June 22 at 6 p.m. until Sunday, June 24 at 9 p.m. This closure accommodates underground utility work.
5 Avenue S.E.
5 Avenue S.E. will be closed between 3 Street and 4 Street S.E. starting at 7 a.m. Monday, June 25 until 7 p.m. Monday, August 24. This closure accommodates Enmax service tie-in for BOSA development. Access will be maintained during Calgary Stampede July 5-15.
3 Street S.E.
3 Street S.E. will be closed between 9 Avenue and 6 Avenue on Friday, June 22, between 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. to accommodate the New Central Library construction. Access to Lot 47 will be available at all times from 9 Avenue SE.
11 Street S.E.
11 Street S.E. will be closed between 34 Avenue and 42 Avenue S.E. on Saturday, June 23 from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. This closure accommodates the 17 Avenue S.E. BRT.
52 Street S.E. & 17 Avenue S.E.
52 Street S.E. will be closed between 16 Avenue and 17 Avenue S.E. starting at 7 p.m. Friday until Tuesday at 5 a.m. for the 17 Avenue BRT construction. During this time, 17 Avenue S.E. will be reduced to one lane in each direction at 52 Street. No turns will be permitted and major delays are expected. Motorists are advised to plan alternate routes.Northwest closures
37 Street N.W.
37 Street N.W. will be closed between 32 Avenue N.W. and 40 Avenue N.W. for deep utilities work on Saturday, Jun 23 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Detour routes will be indicated with signs.
Bowness Road N.W.
Bowness Road will be closed between 47 Street and 48 Street N.W. starting Friday, June 22 at 7 p.m. until Monday, June 25 at 5 a.m. This closure accommodates utility work.
14 Street N.W.
Reduced lanes on 14 Street and Memorial Drive N.W. starting Friday, June 22 at 9 p.m. until Monday, June 25 at 5 a.m. This closure accommodates construction.
Barlow Trail N.E.
Northbound Barlow Trail will be closed at 100 Avenue N.E. on Saturday, June 23 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. This closure accommodates asphalt rehab.
Special Event Road Closures
Please be advised of the following special event road and lane closures:
Calgary Track Takeover
The following closures will be in place from 7 p.m. on Friday to 11:59 p.m. on Saturday:
- Macleod Trail S.E. will be closed between 9 Avenue S.E. and 7 Avenue S.E.
- 8 Avenue S.E. will be closed between Macleod Trail S.E. and 1 Street S.E.
- Watch for police directing traffic in the area
Color Me Rad
The following road closures will be in place on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- 10 Street N.W. will be closed between 5 Avenue N.W. and 16 Avenue N.W.
- 13 Avenue N.W. will be closed between Crescent Road N.W. and 10 Street N.W.
Watch for police directing traffic in the area
Sled Island Block Party
The following road closures will be in place on Saturday from noon to midnight:
- 10 Street S.E. will be closed between 9 Avenue S.E. and 10 Avenue S.E.
- 10 Avenue S.E. will be closed between 10 Street S.E. and 11 Street S.E.
Wild Rose Women’s Triathlon
The following road closures will be in place on Sunday from 8 a.m. to noon:
- The right lane westbound on 24 Avenue N.W. will be closed between Campus Gate N.W. and Collegiate Road N.W.
- The right lane eastbound on 32 Avenue N.W. will be closed between Collegiate Boulevard N.W. and Campus Gate N.W.
- Watch for cyclists and runners in the area
- Watch for police directing traffic in the area
Additional Road closure information
Follow The City of Calgary’s Transportation Department on Twitter for up to date information on road closures, projects and all of Transportations’ services at @yyctransport.
Visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo for up-to-date road closure and incident information.