Calgary road closures - September 2, 2015
The left lane of eastbound and westbound McKnight Boulevard N.E. is closed and the speed is reduced to 50 km/hr. between 12 Street N.E. and 19 Street N.E. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning Friday, August 21. This closure continues until the end of September as part of the McKnight Boulevard widening project.
Southbound 36 Street N.E. is closed between 32 Avenue N.E. and 26 Avenue N.E. and the speed limit is reduced to 50 km/hr. daily between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. beginning Monday, August 24. During weekends, this closure will be extended between 6:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. This closure continues daily until 3 p.m. on Friday, September 25 and accommodates construction of a turn lane.
The right lane of westbound Country Village Way N.E. is closed at Country Village Link N.E. between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. daily beginning on Tuesday, August 18. This closure continues during these hours until 7 p.m. on Saturday, September 5 and accommodates construction.
Eastbound and westbound Country Hills Boulevard N.E. has been temporarily realigned between 52 Street N.E. and 60 Street N.E. This alignment continues through 2015.
Eastbound John Laurie Boulevard N.W. at McKnight Boulevard N.W. is reduced to a single lane between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily beginning on Friday, August 28. This closure is extended to 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, and then resumes normal hours until 3 p.m. on Friday, September 4. This closure accommodates concrete work.
The right lane of southbound 10 Street N.W. at 2 Avenue N.W. will be closed until the end of September. This closure accommodates construction
Crowchild Trail North will have one lane in each direction closed at 24 Avenue N.W. for signal work from Monday, August 17 daily between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. During this closure, the ramps to eastbound and westbound 24 Avenue N.W. will also be closed. This closure continues until Sunday, November 15 and accommodates intersection improvements.
- Northbound 14 Street N.W. is closed between 20 Avenue N.W. and 16 Avenue N.W. between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. daily beginning on Thursday, August 20. During this closure, there will be no northbound access through this corridor via northbound 14 Street N.W. and 16 Avenue N.W. Motorists are advised to use 10 Street N.W. as a detour. This closure continues during these hours until Sunday, September 13.
- Northbound 14 Street N.W. is closed between 20 Avenue N.W. and 16 Avenue N.W. between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily beginning on Friday, August 28. A two way traffic setup will be in place in the southbound lanes. This closure continues during these hours until Sunday, September 13.
- Northbound 14 Street N.W. is closed between 20 Avenue N.W. and 16 Avenue N.W. between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. daily beginning on Thursday, August 28. Northbound traffic will be diverted to the southbound lanes, and there will be no southbound access through this corridor via 14 Street N.W. during this time. Motorists are advised to use 10 Street N.W. as a detour. This closure continues during these hours until Sunday, September 13.
The left lane of northbound Crowchild Trail N.W. is closed at 24 Avenue N.W. between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily until further notice. This closure accommodates work on Crowchild Trail traffic congestion reduction program.
Symons Valley Road N.W. will be closed between 144 Avenue N.W. and Sage Hill Drive N.W. for construction of a new roadway. Traffic will be detoured to Sage Hill Drive N.W. This closure will remain in place until 6 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 6.
83 Street N.W. will be closed between 33 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. until Spring 2016. There will be no access to Bowness Road N.W. from 16 Avenue N.W. during this closure; motorists are advised to use an alternate route.
- Various lane closures affecting traffic in both directions as a new detour at 16 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. open on Wednesday, September 2. This detour is expected to last until late 2016, and accommodates the construction of the Trans Canada Highway / Bowfort Road N.W. Interchange project.
- The left lane of westbound 16 Avenue N.W. will be closed at Bowfort Road N.W. between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily.
NEW: The left lane of 5 Avenue S.E. is closed at MacLeod Trail S.E. between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily on Thursday, September 3 and Friday, September 4. The left lane of northbound Macleod Trail S.E. is also closed north of 5 Avenue S.E. during this time. This closure accommodates utility work.
NEW: The northbound lanes of Ogden Road S.E. between 74 Avenue S.E. and 76 Avenue S.E. are closed and a two-way setup is in the southbound lanes beginning at 9 a.m. on Thursday, September 3. This closure remains in place until 6 p.m. on Friday, September 4 and accommodates water services work.
Various lanes of 94 Avenue S.E. between 52 Street S.E. and 68 Street S.E. will be closed until Wednesday Sept. 30 for new road construction.
The right lane of northbound 4 Street S.E. between 6 Avenue S.E. and 7 Avenue S.W. is closed beginning at 5 a.m. on Thursday, August 20. This closure continues until 9 a.m. on Saturday, September 5 and accommodates construction.
The right lane of southbound 3 Street S.E. is closed between 6 Avenue S.E. and 9 Avenue S.E. from 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily until further notice. A two way traffic setup will be installed in the left northbound lane of 3 Street S.E. between 7 Avenue S.E. and 6 Avenue S.E. This closure accommodates the Municipal Building Flood Mitigation Project.
- The northbound lanes on Macleod Trail, north of 25 Street S.E. have been temporarily realigned as part of the Victoria Bridge Rehabilitation Project. Please pay attention in this area.
- The exit ramp allowing U-turns from southbound 1 Street S.E. to northbound Macleod Trail, north of 25 Avenue S.E. will be closed until late September.
- The regional pathway link to the Macleod Trail bridge deck (Victoria Bridge) will also be closed. Pathway users will be directed to use the 1 Street S.E. link one block to the west.
- The speed limit on Glenmore Trail will be reduced to 50 km/h between Macleod Trail and Deerfoot Trail for the duration of construction.
- The pedestrian underpass and sidewalk connection under Glenmore Trail east of Macleod Trail S.E. will be closed for work related to the Glenmore Trail Bridges projects. Pedestrians will be directed to use Macleod Trail to cross Glenmore Trail. The pedestrian underpass is anticipated to be closed until September.
- Three bridges on Glenmore Trail east of Macleod Trail and west of Deerfoot Trail, including Glenmore Trail over 11 Street S.E., Glenmore Trail over Fairmount Drive and Glenmore Trail over the CP/LRT tracks, will have various lane closures until October. During construction, there will be various stages which will require traffic pattern changes on Glenmore Trail and numerous lane closures on both Glenmore Trail and Centre Street S / Fairmount Drive S.E. under Glenmore Trail S.E.
The two right lanes of 9 Avenue S.W. between 3 Street S.W. and 4 Street S.W. will be closed nightly between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. until further notice. This closure accommodates construction.
4 Street S.E. is reduced to one lane in each direction between 9 Avenue S.E. and 8 Avenue S.E. until Sept. 30. This closure is for construction of the +60 pedestrian bridge at the National Music Centre.
2 Avenue S.W. is closed between 5 Street S.W. and 6 Street S.W. between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Tuesday, September 1. This closure accommodates construction.
Various lane closures on 8 Avenue S.W. between 8 Street S.W. and 11 Street S.W. beginning at 6 a.m. on Sunday, August 30. These closures continue until 10 p.m. on Saturday, September 5 and accommodate the installation of additional on-street parking.
The 5 Street S.W. cycle track will be closed between 15 Avenue S.W. and 17 Avenue S.W. until further notice. In order to improve the transition of the 5 Street cycle track between 15 Avenue S.W. and 17 Avenue S.W., the northbound and southbound lanes of the cycle track, and portions of the east sidewalk on 17 Avenue, will face periodic closures. Please follow the detour signs to as crews complete work on these blocks. Cyclists are advised to dismount and use the sidewalk through this stretch. This closure is expected to last until 10 p.m. on Saturday, September 5.
The right lane of northbound 8 Street S.W. and adjacent sidewalk are closed between 8 Avenue S.W. and 10 Avenue S.W. until late September. This closure accommodates the 8 Street Underpass project. Pedestrians are advised to use the west sidewalk.
The cycle track on 12 Avenue S.E. will be detoured between 3 Street S.E. and Olympic Way S.E. until further notice to accommodate construction.
Southbound 1 Street S.W. will be reduced to one lane between 9 Avenue S.W. and 10 Avenue S.W. this summer to accommodate the 1 Street S.W. underpass enhancement project. At the same time, the sidewalk on southbound 1 Street S.W. will be closed. Pedestrians should use the sidewalk on the east side of 1 Street S.W. These closures will be in place until the work on the west side of the underpass is complete.
While the bulk of construction work for the Crowchild Trail/Flanders Avenue Interchange won't begin until September 2015, some initial work to prepare for the Interchange construction process is underway:
- Caen Avenue (from the Currie Business Park entrance to Quesnay Wood Drive) is closed to allow for the utility work necessary for the Interchange construction. This stretch of Caen Avenue will be closed until late 2016. A temporary off-ramp provides access into the Currie Business Park, from Crowchild Trail South to Battleford Avenue.
- Preparatory construction work has begun on Richard Road and eastbound Flanders Avenue.Traffic on Richard Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction (north and sound bound).
Calgary Pride Parade – Sunday, September 6
- 9 Avenue S is closed between 11 Street S.W. and 4 Street S.E. between 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Pop-up Picnic - Wednesday, September 2
- 3 Street S.W. is closed between 5 Avenue S.W. and 6 Avenue S.W. from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. on Wednesday, September 2.
Easter Seals Drop Zone - Thursday, September 3
- The right lane of 4 Avenue S.W. is closed between Centre Street S and 1 Street S.W. between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Summer Construction Projects
Now that summer is here, Roads construction projects are ramping up. For more information, visit Calgary.ca/paving.
For more information visit Alberta Transportation’s website.
Follow The City of Calgary’s Transportation Department on Twitter for up to date information on road closures, projects and all of Transportations’ services at @yyctransport.
Visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo for up-to-date road closure and incident information.