Calgary road closures - November 7, 2016
November 7, 2016
This press release is aimed at informing 911 and the media of major road closures and lane restrictions. For information on closures in your area, visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo.
Find up to the minute road closure information on the Transportation Twitter account (@yyctransport).
The left lane of westbound 16 Avenue N.E. is closed at 1 Street N.E. from 9 p.m. on Monday, November 7 to 5 a.m. on Tuesday, November 8 for utility work.
There will be various lane closures in all directions at Memorial Drive N.E. and Edmonton Trail N.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This closure accommodates the Memorial Drive at Edmonton Trail improvement project.
NEW: Various lane closures on both directions of the Airport Tunnel from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, November 8 for tunnel maintenance.
The right lane of westbound John Laurie Boulevard N.W. is closed at Edgemont Drive N.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Wednesday, November 2. This closure continues daily during these hours until 3 p.m. on Friday, November 11 and accommodates utility work.
Westbound 16 Avenue N.W. will be reduced to a single left lane west of 14 Street N.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Monday, October 31. This closure continues daily during these hours until 3 p.m. on Saturday, November 12. This closure accommodates construction.
144 Avenue N.W. is closed between Centre Street North and 14 Street N.W. for roadway upgrades through November.
83 Street N.W. is closed between 33 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. until further notice. There will be no access to Bowness Road N.W. from 16 Avenue N.W.; use an alternate route.
NEW: There will be various lane closures on eastbound and westbound Southland Drive at Blackfoot Trail from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily Tuesday, November 8 to Friday, November 11.
Bonaventure Drive N.E. is reduced to a single lane in each direction at Southland Drive N.E. beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, November 7. This closure continues until 6 p.m. on Wednesday, November 9 and accommodates water services utility work.
Acadia Drive S.E. will be closed at Willow Park Drive on Monday, Oct. 31, 2016 starting at 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. on Wednesday, November 16. This road closure is to accommodate sewer line upgrade. Use alternate route.
15 Street S.E. is closed between 42 Street and 46 Street S.E. During this closure, business access will be maintained. This closure continues through 2016 and accommodates major water services work.
Zoo Road will be closed until December 2017 to accommodate the construction of the Zoo Flood mitigation project. The 12 Street S.E. bridge will remain open to local only traffic.
- NEW: The two right lanes will be closed on northbound Macleod Trail at 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 9 p.m. Wednesday, November 9 until 5 a.m. Thursday, November 10.
- There will be various lane closures on southbound Macleod Trail at 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily on Saturday, November 5 to Friday, November 11.
- The will be various lane closures on northbound Macleod Trail at 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Saturday, November 5 to Friday, November 11.
- Starting on Tuesday, November 1, the access to both westbound 162 Avenue S.E. and to eastbound Sun Valley Boulevard from southbound Macleod Trail will change. A new exit ramp via the right lane will open to access both 162 Avenue S.E. and Sun Valley Boulevard to allow for the next stage of interchange construction. Macleod Trail is already part of a construction zone with a reduced speed limit that will remain in effect 24/7 for duration of construction.
- The right lane will be closed on northbound Barlow Trail at Glenmore Trail from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Friday, November 4, Tuesday, November 8 and Wednesday, November 9 to allow for road work related to the Glenmore Trail / Ogden Road interchange project. Barlow Trail at Glenmore Trail is already part of a construction zone with a reduced speed limit of 50 km/hr. that will remain in effect 24/7 for duration of construction.
- Various lane closures in all directions 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
- The Shepard Road access south of Glenmore is closed. There will be a new access created at 24 Street S.E. south of Glenmore Trail, west of the existing Shepard Road alignment. Traffic requiring to access Shepard Road south of Glenmore Trial will be detoured via the new 24 Street S.E. exit and then along 86 Avenue S.E. to reconnect with Shepard Road. There will be limited business access north of 86 Avenue S.E. on Shepard Road after detour in place. In addition, the eastbound lanes on Glenmore Trail will be re-aligned into the next stage of construction. The eastbound and westbound lanes will be separated with two new intersections created. Ogden Road will have some alignment shifts north of Glenmore Trail to accommodate these traffic changes.
14 Street S.W. is closed between 37 Avenue and 38 Avenue S.W. beginning at 7 p.m. on Friday, November 4. This closure accommodates the City of Calgary’s utility replacement program. Motorists are advised to expect delays and use alternate routes. This closure remains in place until 7 p.m. on Friday, November 25.
The right lane of northbound Macleod Trail S.W. is closed at 61 Avenue S.W. and the speed limit is reduced to 50 km/hr. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Thursday, November 2. This closure continues daily during these hours, and also on weekends from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. through 3 p.m. on Monday, November 14. This closure accommodates work related to the 61 Avenue S.W. Greenway Corridor project.
38 Avenue S.W. will be closed between 13 Street S.W. and 14 Street S.W. until 7 p.m. on Friday, November 11. The road closure is to accommodate City of Calgary utility replacement program.
Elveden Drive S.W. will be closed at Elveden Mews S.W. from 7 a.m. on Oct. 27 until 7 p.m. on Nov. 6. A temporary residential parking zone will be set up on Elveden Drive S.W.
- 17 Avenue S.W. is reduced to a single lane in each direction between 4 Street S.W. and 5 Street S.W. beginning at 7 a.m. on Monday, November 7. This closure continues until 7 p.m. on Monday, December 5.
- 17 Avenue S.W. is reduced to a single lane in each direction between Centre Street S and 1 Street S.W. This closure continues until 7 p.m. on Monday, November 21 and accommodates construction.
- 17 Avenue S.W. is reduced to a single lane in each direction between 1 Street S.E. and Macleod Trial S.E. This closure continues until 7 p.m. on Thursday, November 10 and accommodates construction.
Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at 50 Years Thanksgiving – 7 a.m. on Tuesday, November 8 until 10 p.m. on Sunday, November 13
- 54 Avenue N.E. is closed from east of 44 Street N.E. to Westwinds Drive N.E.
- 44 Street N.E. is closed between 54 Avenue N.E. and Westwinds Drive N.E.
Battalion Park Remembrance Day Ceremony
- From 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. (noon) on Friday, November 11, there will be no access to the parking lot of Battalion Park, and no parking in the cul-de-sac of 100 Sierra Vista Bay S.W.
Calgary Highlanders Remembrance Day Parade – Central Memorial Park
- On Friday, November 11 from 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. there will be no parking between 2 and 4 Street S.W. along the north side of 13 Avenue and the south side of 12 Avenue S.W.,
- 4 Street between 12 Avenue S.W. and 13 Avenue S.W. will be close to traffic, as will 2 right lanes on eastbound 12 Avenue between 2 Street S.W. and 4 Street S.W.,
- The sidewalk on the east side of 4 Street S.W. will be closed between 12 Avenue and 13 Avenue S.W.
- Calgary Police Service will also be stopping traffic on eastbound 12 Avenue S.W., and 13 Avenue S.W. for one minute at 11 a.m.
Memorial Drive Field of Crosses Project – Friday, November 11 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. (noon)
- Westbound Memorial Drive at 4 Street N.W. will be closed. Downtown access via the 4 Avenue flyover. If you want to travel west, use Edmonton Trail to 16 Avenue N.E.
- Northbound lower Centre Street Bridge will also be closed at this time.
- At 10:55 to 11:05 a.m. eastbound Memorial Drive N.W. will be closed at 3 Street N.W. (adjacent to Field of Crosses)
- Police will be onsite directing traffic
Alberta Transportation maintains Deerfoot Trail (Hwy.2) and Stoney Trail (Hwy. 201). For more information on work happening on these roads visit Alberta Transportation’s website.