Calgary road closures - May 16, 2016
Calgary road closures and lane restrictions – May 16, 2016
Find up to the minute road closure information on the Transportation Twitter account (@yyctransport)
Ivor Strong Bridge Rehab
Alberta Transportation is performing rehabilitation on the Ivor Strong bridge on Deerfoort Trail. During this project there will be narrowed lanes and a reduced speed limit. Two lanes of traffic will be maintained throughout construction, which occurs 24/7 beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday, May 13. Motorists are reminded to use caution when driving through the construction zone and expect delays.
36 Street N.E. will be closed between 64 Avenue N.E. and Airport Trail N.E. beginning at 6 a.m. on Monday, May 16. During this closure, traffic will be detoured to Metis Trail N.E. This closure continues until mid-October 2016 and accommodates road widening. Local traffic only between 64 Avenue and 80 Avenue N.E.
Eastbound 7 Avenue N.E. is closed from Moraine Road N.E. to 28 Street N.E. beginning at 6:30 a.m. on Monday, May 16. During the closure, eastbound traffic will be detoured to 5 Avenue N.E. or 10 Avenue N.E. This closure continues until 6 p.m. on Wednesday, May 18 and accommodates water utility work.
There will be various lane closures on 36 Street N.E. between Memorial Drive and 16 Avenue N.E. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. until further notice. These closures accommodate curb rehab in preparation for paving.
There will be new traffic patterns on McKnight Boulevard N.E. between 12 Street N.E. and 19 Street N.E. until June 2016. Eastbound McKnight will be closed in this stretch and narrowed two-way traffic will be in place in the westbound lanes. This work is part of the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Widening Project.
The right lane of eastbound 16 Avenue N.E. at 1 Street N.E. is closed between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. weekly on Tuesday through Friday until further notice. This closure accommodates construction.
NEW: Eastbound 5 Avenue N.W. is closed between 11 Avenue N.W. and 12 Avenue N.W. beginning at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, May 17. During this closure, two-way setup will be in place in the westbound lanes. This closure remains in place until 8 p.m. on Thursday, May 19 and accommodates crane work.
The right lane of southbound 10 Street N.W. between 2 Avenue N.W. and 3 Avenue N.W. is closed beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, May 9. This closure accommodates the Kensington improvements project and continues until 8 p.m. on Monday, May 23.
One lane of westbound Kensington Road N.W. closed between 10A Street and 11 Street N.W. until May 23. This closure accommodates the Kensington improvements project.
83 Street N.W. is closed between 33 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. until further notice. There will be no access to Bowness Road N.W. from 16 Avenue N.W. during this closure; use an alternate route.
NEW: The right lane of southbound Ogden Road S.E. is closed at 42 Avenue S.E. and the speed limit is reduced to 50 km/hr. from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily beginning on Tuesday, May 17. This closure accommodates construction and continues until further notice.
3 Street S.E. is closed between 6 Avenue and 9 Avenue S.E. beginning at 7 a.m. on Saturday, May 14. This closure continues until 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 24 and accommodates transit work.
The right lane of northbound and southbound 52 Street S.E. is closed at Glenmore Trail S.E. and speed limit is reduced to 50 km/hr. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Monday, May 16. This closure continues during these hours until the weekend, when the closure starts at 7 a.m. on Saturday, May 21. This closure ends at 7 p.m. on Saturday, May 21 and accommodates construction.
The pedestrian bridge at Penedo Way S.E. over CN Rail tracks will be closed beginning on Saturday, May 7 for emergency repairs. Signage and safety precautions will be in place during this closure, and pedestrians are asked to use an alternate route.
The right lane of southbound Ogden Road S.E. is closed at 42 Avenue S.E. beginning at 8 a.m. on Monday, May 9. This closure continues until 6 p.m. on Sunday, May 22 and accommodates construction.
Northbound and westbound closures will be in place at 146 Avenue S.E. and Bow Bottom Trail S.E. until 8 a.m. on Tuesday, May 31, 2016. During this closure, a two-way traffic setup will be in place in the eastbound and southbound lanes. This closure accommodates construction.
There will be various single lane closures on Glenmore Trail north of 52 Street S.E. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Friday, April 15. This construction continues daily during these hours on weekdays, and from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends. These closures accommodate construction and continue until further notice.
15 Street S.E. is closed between 42 Street and 46 Street S.E. During this closure, business access will be maintained. This closure continues through 2016 and accommodates major water services work.
Zoo Road will be closed until December 2017 to accommodate the construction of the Zoo Flood mitigation project. The 12 Street S.E. bridge will remain open to local only traffic.
- There will be various single lane closures in all directions from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Monday, May 16 to Friday, May 20. Blackfoot Trail is already part of a construction zone with a reduced speed limit of 50 km/hr. that will remain in effect 24/7 for duration of construction.
- Starting at 9 a.m. Monday, May 2 for approximately four weeks, the exit ramp from southbound Blackfoot Trail to westbound 58 Avenue S.E. Trail will be closed. Traffic affected by the closed ramp will be detoured around the turn island to re-connect with westbound 58 Avenue S.E., with the exception of large trucks which will be directed to use Glenmore Trail as a detour.
- Starting at 9 a.m. Monday, May 2 for approximately four weeks, the exit ramp from westbound 58 Avenue S.E. to northbound Blackfoot Trail will be closed. Traffic affected by the closed ramp will be detoured around the turn island to re-connect with northbound Blackfoot Trail, with the exception of large trucks which will be required to use an alternate route.
- From now until late summer of 2016, there will be periodic lane closures and 50 km/h speed reductions at the intersection of Blackfoot Trail at 58 Avenue S.E. to allow for intersection improvements. Further information will follow as construction progresses. For additional information on this project, please go to Calgary.ca and search “58 Avenue and Blackfoot Trail S.E. intersection improvements”.
- NEW: The left lane will be closed on northbound Macleod Trail south of 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday, May 17.
- Starting on Thursday, April 7, the access to westbound 162 Avenue S.E. from northbound Macleod Trail will change. The previous northbound Macleod Trail to westbound 162 Avenue S.E. exit will re-open, but operate as a single left turn only. The access to eastbound Sun Valley Boulevard from northbound Macleod Trail will remain as is on the existing detour ramp.
- The dual turns from eastbound and westbound 162 Avenue S.E. to northbound and southbound Shawville Boulevard will be revised to single left turns starting Sunday April 3. An alternate access to the south end of Shawville Boulevard can be used via the southbound Macleod Trail exit ramp to 22X.
- Eastbound Glenmore Trail east of 30 Street S.E. will have trucks crossing roadway in off-peak hours starting Wednesday, April 27 and continuing until the end of May, for hauling material related to the Glenmore Trail / Ogden Road interchange project. Flagman crews will be on site to stop all eastbound traffic as required while the trucks cross roadway. Efforts will be made to keep disruption of traffic on eastbound Glenmore Trail to a minimum. Glenmore Trail is already part of a construction zone with a reduced speed limit of 50 km/h, that will remain in effect 24/7 for duration of construction.
- Construction continues at the Glenmore / Ogden Interchange. For information on this project, visit the Glenmore / Ogden Interchange website on Calgary.ca
NEW: 15 Avenue S.W. is closed at 4 Street S.W. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, May 17. This closure accommodates utility work.
Various lane closures on MacLeod Trail S.W. between 34 Avenue and 58 Avenue S.W. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily beginning Monday, May 16 until Friday, May 20 due to concrete rehabilitation.
The left lane of 9 Avenue S.W. is closed between 10 Street and 11 Street S.W. daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, May 16. The closure expands to 2 left lane closures from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. This closure continues until 3 p.m. on Friday, May 20. This closure accommodates utility work.
The right lane of northbound 4 Street S.W. is closed at 15 Avenue S.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Tuesday, May 10. This closure continues daily during these hours until further notice and accommodates utility work.
- The northbound exit ramps from Crowchild Trail S.W. to Flanders Avenue S.W. are currently closed until late 2016. Motorists will be unable to access Flanders Avenue S.W. via northbound Crowchild Trail S.W. Motorists are advised to use 33 Avenue S.W. or 50 Avenue S.W. via Crowchild Trail as alternate routes.
- Caen Avenue (from the Currie Business Park entrance to Quesnay Wood Drive) is closed to allow for the utility work necessary for the Interchange construction. This stretch of Caen Avenue will be closed until late 2016. A temporary off-ramp provides access into the Currie Business Park, from Crowchild Trail South to Battleford Avenue.
- Construction work has begun on Richard Road and eastbound Flanders Avenue. Traffic on Richard Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction (north and sound bound).
For more information visit Alberta Transportation’s website.
Follow The City of Calgary’s Transportation Department on Twitter for up to date information on road closures, projects and all of Transportations’ services at @yyctransport.
Visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo for up-to-date road closure and incident information.