Calgary road closures - July 7, 2016
Calgary road closures and lane restrictions – July 7, 2016
Find up to the minute road closure information on the Transportation Twitter account (@yyctransport)
It’s construction season! Help keep workers on the road safe. For more information, visit Calgary.ca/constructionzonesafety.
NEW: Lane closures on Martindale Boulevard N.E. at Martindale Road N.E., and full road closure on Martindale Boulevard N.E. at Marthas Manor N.E. from 6 p.m. on Friday, July 8 until 6 p.m. on Sunday, July 10.
NEW: The right lane of McKnight Boulevard N.E. is closed from Deerfoot Trail to Barlow Trail N.E. from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, July 9 due to landscaping and hydroseeding.
NEW: 11 Street N.E. is closed at McDougall Road N.E. from 9 a.m. on Saturday, July 9 until 9 p.m. on Sunday, July 10.
NEW: 8 Street N.E. is closed from McDougall Road N.E. to McPherson Road N.E. from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, July 11 due to a concrete pour.
NEW: Lane closures on Country Hills Boulevard N.E. from Deerfoot Trail to Barlow Trail from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on weekdays and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays from Monday, July 11 until Saturday, August 13 due to the addition of lanes.
UPDATE: The left lane of northbound Edmonton Trail is closed between Memorial Drive and 2 Avenue N.E. from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily from Wednesday, July 6 until Thursday, July 14, excluding Sunday, July 10.
Various lane closures both directions on Country Hills Boulevard N.E. at 38 Street N.E. from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. daily from Wednesday, July 6 until Wednesday, July 20 due to signal work.
The right lane of eastbound 16 Avenue N.E. is closed at 1 Street N.E. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Monday, July 4, continuing these hours daily until 3 p.m. on Friday, July 8.
Aviation Road N.E. is closed between Aviation Boulevard and 15 Street N.E. from 8 a.m. on Sunday, June 5 until Sunday, September 25. During this closure, local business access will be maintained. This closure is part of the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Widening Project.
There will be new traffic patterns on McKnight Boulevard N.E. between 12 Street N.E. and 19 Street N.E. until September 2016. Westbound McKnight will be closed in this stretch and narrowed two-way traffic will be in place in the eastbound lanes. This work is part of the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Widening Project.
36 Street N.E. will be closed between 64 Avenue N.E. and Airport Trail N.E. until mid-October 2016. During this closure, traffic travelling northbound on 36 Street N.E. will be restricted to local only access at 64 Avenue N.E. Traffic travelling westbound on 80 Avenue N.E. will be diverted to southbound 40 Street N.E. There will be no access to Airport Trail from 80 Avenue N.E. during this closure. Detours using Metis Trail N.E. around construction zone are recommended. This accommodates road widening by a developer.
NEW: Northmount Drive N.W. has parking restrictions in place and traffic shifting between Cambrian Drive N.W. and McKnight Boulevard N.W starting at 7 a.m. on July 10 due to paving. Two-way Traffic will be maintained during these operations.
14 Street N.W. is reduced to a single lane in each direction between 21 Avenue and 8 Avenue N.W. nightly from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. beginning on Monday, July 4. Motorists are advised to use alternate routes at Crowchild Trail N.W. and 10 Street N.W. and expect delays in the area. This closure continues nightly during these hours until Sunday, July 10 at 5 a.m. and accommodates work related to paving. For more information visit Calgary.ca/paving.
Various single lane closures in all directions at Kensington Road and 14 Street N.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Monday, July 4. These closures continue daily until 3 p.m. on Friday, July 8 and accommodate traffic signal work.
The Prince’s Island Park pedestrian bridge to Memorial Drive will have a reduced width beginning at 7 a.m. on July 4, 2016. This closure will continue through September 2016 and accommodates replacement of a non-slip coating.
144 Avenue N.W. is closed between Centre Street North and 14 Street N.W. for roadway upgrades through November 2016.
The right lane of westbound 24 Avenue N.W. is closed between 23 Street N.W. and Crowchild Trail N.W. beginning at 7 a.m. on Friday, June 3 until August 2016 due to the construction of a retaining wall. During this closure, pedestrians will be diverted to the south crosswalk.
Various single lane closures on off peak hours at 16 Avenue N.W. and Sarcee Trail N.W. for interchange improvement work. These closures are expected to last until November 2016.
83 Street N.W. is closed between 33 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. until further notice. There will be no access to Bowness Road N.W. from 16 Avenue N.W. during this closure; use an alternate route.
NEW: 20A Street S.E. is closed from 72 Avenue to 74 Avenue S.E., with parking restrictions in place on neighbouring roads, from 9 a.m. on Friday, July 8 until 5 a.m. on Monday, July 11 due to construction.
NEW: Various single lane closures in all directions at Peigan Trail and 52 Street S.E. This work accommodates concrete rehab and paving preparations:
- From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily from Wednesday, July 6 to Friday, July 8.
- From 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 9.
- From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Monday, July 11 to Friday, July 15.
- From 6:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, July 16.
NEW: 52 Street S.E. is reduced to two lanes both directions at Glenmore Trail S.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily from Monday, July 11 until Saturday, July 16.
The left lane and turn bays will be closed both directions on 52 Street S.E. at 23 Avenue S.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Monday, July 4 to Friday, July 8 for roadway construction.
Various single lane closures in both directions of 52 Street S.E. at Glenmore Trail S.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily from on Monday, July 4 until Friday, July 8, and from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, July 9. This closure accommodates construction.
15 Street S.E. is closed between 42 Street and 46 Street S.E. During this closure, business access will be maintained. This closure continues through 2016 and accommodates major water services work.
Zoo Road will be closed until December 2017 to accommodate the construction of the Zoo Flood mitigation project. The 12 Street S.E. bridge will remain open to local only traffic.
- There will be various single lane closures in all directions from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Monday, July 4 to Friday, July 8.
- There will be various single lane closures in all directions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, July 9.
- From now until late summer of 2016, there will be periodic lane closures and 50 km/h speed reductions at the intersection of Blackfoot Trail at 58 Avenue S.E. to allow for intersection improvements. Further information will follow as construction progresses. For additional information on this project, please go to Calgary.ca and search “58 Avenue and Blackfoot Trail S.E. intersection improvements”.
- There will be various northbound lane closures from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily from Monday, July 4 to Friday July 8.
- There will be various southbound lane closures from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily from Monday, July 4 to Friday July 8.
- Access to southbound Macleod Trail from the shopping Centre located north of 162 Avenue S.E. will close to accommodate the next phase of construction. Traffic will be required to exit the shopping Centre at the west entrance on Shawville Boulevard and connect to either 162 Avenue S.E. or Shawnessy Boulevard to access Macleod Trail.
- NEW: Various lane closures in all directions at Glenmore Trail and Ogden Road / Shepard Road S.E. from 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 9 and until Sunday, July 10. There will be significant delays at this interchange and surrounding area on Sunday, July 10 to accommodate the implementation of the next stage of construction.
- NEW: On Sunday, July 10 the Shepard Road access south of Glenmore will close. There will be a new access created at 24 Street S.E. south of Glenmore Trail, west of the existing Shepard Road alignment. Traffic requiring to access Shepard Road south of Glenmore Trial will be detoured via the new 24 Street S.E. exit and then along 86 Avenue S.E. to reconnect with Shepard Road. There will be limited business access north of 86 Avenue S.E. on Shepard Road after detour in place. In addition, the eastbound lanes on Glenmore Trail will be re-aligned into the next stage of construction. The eastbound and westbound lanes will be separated with two new intersections created. Ogden Road will have some alignment shifts north of Glenmore Trail to accommodate these traffic changes.
- The right lane will be closed both directions on Barlow Trail at Glenmore Trail from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Thursday, July 7 and Friday, July 8.
- The existing 50 km/h reduced speed limit on Glenmore Trail between 18 Street S.E. and Barlow Trail will be extended to the east side of Barlow Trail starting on Thursday July 7. The speed limit on Barlow Trail at Glenmore Trail will be reduced to 50 km/h during the same time frame.
- Construction continues at the Glenmore / Ogden Interchange. For information on this project, visit the Glenmore / Ogden Interchange website on Calgary.ca
10 Avenue S.W. is reduced to a single lane in each direction west of 8 Street S.W. until 3 p.m. on Friday, August 26 due to Transportation Infrastructure work.
The right lane of southbound 8 Street S.W. between 8 Avenue and 10 Avenue S.W. is closed until October 2016. The west sidewalk on 8 Street S.W. in this stretch will be closed. This closure accommodates work on the 8 Street S.W. underpass project.
The right lane of northbound 4 Street S.W. is closed at 15 Avenue S.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Tuesday, May 10. This closure continues daily during these hours until further notice and accommodates utility work.
- The northbound exit ramps from Crowchild Trail S.W. to Flanders Avenue S.W. are currently closed until late 2016. Motorists will be unable to access Flanders Avenue S.W. via northbound Crowchild Trail S.W. Motorists are advised to use 33 Avenue S.W. or 50 Avenue S.W. via Crowchild Trail as alternate routes.
- Caen Avenue (from the Currie Business Park entrance to Quesnay Wood Drive) is closed to allow for the utility work necessary for the Interchange construction. This stretch of Caen Avenue will be closed until late 2016. A temporary off-ramp provides access into the Currie Business Park, from Crowchild Trail South to Battleford Avenue.
- Construction work has begun on Richard Road and eastbound Flanders Avenue. Traffic on Richard Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction (north and sound bound).
Make-A-Wish Rope for Hope – Wednesday, July 6 and Thursday, July 7 – 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
The left lane of 6 Avenue S.W. is closed between 3 Street and 4 Street S.W. from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days. On Thursday, July 7, the left lane of 4 Street S.W. northbound is closed 6 Avenue and 7 Avenue S.W. from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Spruce Meadows “North American” Tournament – Friday, July 8 to Sunday, July 10 – 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
There is a speed reduction to 70 km/hour, then to 50 km/hour, in effect on Spruce Meadows Trail from 6 Street S.W / Sherriff King Street S.W. to 53 Street S.W.
Stampede Parade – Friday, July 8 – 7:30 am to 2 p.m.
The following roadways will be closed for the 2016 Calgary Stampede Parade:
• Westbound 6 Avenue from 3 Street S.E. to 10 Street S.W.
• 10 Street S.W. from 6 Avenue S.W. to 9 Avenue S.W.
• Eastbound 9 Avenue from 10 Street S.W. to 3 Street S.E.
• The morning connector from Bow Trail to westbound 5 Avenue S.W. will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. only.
All roadways are expected to reopen by approximately 2 p.m.
See the Stampede parade Route map.
Mustard Seed Stampede BBQ – Friday July 8 – 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Centre Street is closed between 10 Avenue and 11 Avenue S.E.
Inglewood Night Market – Friday July 8 – 1 p.m. to 11:30 pm
10 Street S.E. is closed between 9 Avenue and 10 Avenue S.E., and 10 Avenue S.E. is closed between 10 Street and 11 Street S.E.
Calgary Stampede Rope Square Downtown Attractions – Friday July 8, and Sunday, July 10- Saturday, July 16 – 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. daily
- Lane closures on northbound Macleod Trail between 9 Avenue and 12 Avenue S.W.
- 9 Avenue S.W. closed at 1 Street S.W. Motorists are advised to use 2 Street S.W.
- Parking restrictions in place in the following locations:
- 3 Street S.W. between 2 Avenue and 8 Avenue S.W.
- 8 Avenue S.W. between 3 Street and Macleod Trail S.E.
- Macleod Trail S.E. from 9 Avenue to Riverfront Avenue S.E.
- Riverfront Avenue from Macleod Trail to 2 Street S.E.
- 4 Avenue S.W. from 1 Street to 3 Street S.W.
Stampede Road Race – 5, 10, 21K – Sunday July 10, 7 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- 19 Street S.W. is closed between 50 Avenue S.W. and 58 Avenue S.W.
- The right lane of eastbound 50 Avenue S.W. is closed between 16 Street S.W. and 19 Street S.W.
- Watch for runners in the following locations:
- 21 Street S.W. from 51 Avenue S.W. to 58 Avenue S.W.
- Langriville Drive S.W. south of 58 Avenue S.W.
- The right lane of northbound Crowchild Trail S.W. between 66 Avenue S.W. and the entrance of North Glenmore Park.
For more information visit Alberta Transportation’s website.
Follow The City of Calgary’s Transportation Department on Twitter for up to date information on road closures, projects and all of Transportations’ services at @yyctransport.
Visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo for up-to-date road closure and incident information.