Calgary road closures - August 3, 2016
Calgary road closures and lane restrictions – August 3, 2016
Find up to the minute road closure information on the Transportation Twitter account (@yyctransport)
It’s construction season! Help keep workers on the road safe. For more information, visit Calgary.ca/constructionzonesafety.
McKnight Boulevard Bridge at Deerfoot Trail Rehabilitation
Alberta Transportation is rehabilitating the McKnight Boulevard Bridge over Deerfoot Trail in early August. Starting Thursday, August 4, lane restrictions and speed reductions will be in place on Deerfoot Trail at McKnight Boulevard. These restrictions will continue through September 2016 and accommodate bridge rehabilitation work.
NEW: The right lane of southbound 19 Street N.E. is closed a McKnight Boulevard N.E. from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, August 4. This closure accommodates construction.
NEW: The right lane of westbound McKnight Boulevard N.E. is closed east of 15 Street N.E. beginning at 10 a.m. on Thursday, August 4. This closure will continue until 2 p.m. on Sunday, August 4 and accommodates construction.
Martindale Boulevard N.E. is closed between Martha’s Manor N.E. and Martinvalley Place N.E. beginning at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, August 2. This closure remains in place until 6 p.m. on Friday, August 5 and accommodates utility installation.
The right lane of southbound St. Georges Drive is closed at the Zoo parking lot from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily beginning on Tuesday, August 2. This closure continues daily during these hours until 5 p.m. on Thursday, August 4. This closure accommodates utility construction.
Country Hills Boulevard N.E. will be reduced to a single lane in each direction between Freeport Road N.E. and Barlow Trail N.E. beginning at 6 a.m. on Sunday, July 24. This closure accommodates the reconstruction of Barlow Trail and Country Hills Boulevard N.E. and is expected to last for approximately four weeks.
Lane closures on Country Hills Boulevard N.E. from Deerfoot Trail to Barlow Trail from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on weekdays and 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturdays from Monday, July 11 until Saturday, August 13 due to the addition of lanes.
Aviation Road N.E. is closed between Aviation Boulevard and 15 Street N.E. until Sunday, September 25. Local business access will be maintained. This closure is part of the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Widening Project.
There will be new traffic patterns on McKnight Boulevard N.E. between 12 Street N.E. and 19 Street N.E. until September 2016. This work is part of the McKnight Boulevard N.E. Widening Project.
36 Street N.E. will be closed between 64 Avenue N.E. and Airport Trail N.E. until mid-October 2016. During this closure, traffic travelling northbound on 36 Street N.E. will be restricted to local only access at 64 Avenue N.E. Traffic travelling westbound on 80 Avenue N.E. will be diverted to southbound 40 Street N.E. There will be no access to Airport Trail from 80 Avenue N.E. during this closure. Detours using Metis Trail N.E. around construction zone are recommended.
There will be various single lane closures daily on Sarcee Trail N.W. at Stoney Trail N.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Wednesday, July 6. These closures continue daily during these hours until August 8 and accommodates interchange upgrades.
The right lane of eastbound Stoney Trail N.W. is closed at Sarcee Trail N.W. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily until August 8 due to interchange upgrades.
Northmount Drive N.W. has parking restrictions in place and traffic shifting between Cambrian Drive N.W. and McKnight Boulevard N.W. Two-way traffic will be maintained during these operations. This closure accommodates paving.
144 Avenue N.W. is closed between Centre Street North and 14 Street N.W. for roadway upgrades through November 2016.
The right lane of westbound 24 Avenue N.W. is closed between 23 Street N.W. and Crowchild Trail N.W. until August 2016 due to the construction of a retaining wall.
83 Street N.W. is closed between 33 Avenue N.W. and Bowfort Road N.W. until further notice. There will be no access to Bowness Road N.W. from 16 Avenue N.W.; use an alternate route.
The right lane of eastbound 9 Avenue S.E. is closed between 12 Street S.E. and 14 Street S.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, August 4. This closure accommodates construction.
Centre Street S is reduced to a single lane in each direction between 5 Avenue S.E. and 6 Avenue S.E. beginning at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, August 2. This closure accommodates utility installation and remains in place until further notice.
17 Avenue S.E. is reduced to a single lane in each direction between Centre Street S and 1 Street S.E. beginning at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, August 2. This closure continues until 7 p.m. on Saturday, August 13 and accommodates construction.
Starting at 7 a.m. Tuesday, August 2 and continuing until the end of August, Dartmouth Road will be closed at 34 Avenue S.E. to allow for gas main upgrades. Traffic will be directed to use either Spiller Road or Macleod Trail to bypass the closure.
Various closures along Macleod Trail S.E. at 38 Avenue, 42 Avenue, 45 Avenue and 50 Avenue S.E. to accommodate the Macleod Trail Feedermain Valve Upgrade Project.
Ogden Road S.E. is reduced to a single lane in each direction and the speed limit is reduced to 50 km/hr. from 16A Street S.E. to 42 Avenue S.E. beginning at 5 a.m. on Monday, July 25. This closure continues until 5 a.m. on Monday, August 15 and accommodates construction.
The left parking lane of 6 Avenue S.E. will be closed between Centre Street and 1 Street S.E. beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, July 18. This closure continues until 5 a.m. on Tuesday, September 6 and accommodates construction.
15 Street S.E. is closed between 42 Street and 46 Street S.E. During this closure, business access will be maintained. This closure continues through 2016 and accommodates major water services work.
Zoo Road will be closed until December 2017 to accommodate the construction of the Zoo Flood mitigation project. The 12 Street S.E. bridge will remain open to local only traffic.
- The speed limit will be reduced to 50 km/h at the intersection of Blackfoot Trail and Southland Drive during periods of construction activity. This work is related to the Southland Dr and Blackfoot Trail intersection improvements for 2016.
- NEW: The left turns from east and west 58 Avenue S.E. onto Blackfoot Trail, will be revised starting on Wednesday, August 3. The optional dual left turn will be removed and traffic will only be able to make single left turns. This is required as an interim measure to accommodate the next phase of construction and is anticipated to be in place for several weeks.
- The left lane will be closed on northbound and southbound Blackfoot Trail north of 58 Avenue S.E. from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. daily on Tuesday, August 2 to Friday, August 5.
- The left lane will be closed on eastbound and westbound 58 Avenue S.E. on each side of Blackfoot Trail from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Tuesday, August 2 to Friday, August 5. Blackfoot Trail is already part of a construction zone with a reduced speed limit of 50 km/h, that will remain in effect 24/7 for duration of construction.
- The left lane will be closed on northbound Macleod Trail south of 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Tuesday, August 2 to Friday August 5.
- The left lane will be closed on northbound Macleod Trail north of 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily on Tuesday, August 2 to Friday August 5.
- The left lane will be closed on southbound Macleod Trail north of 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily on Tuesday, August 2 to Friday August 5.
- The left lane will be closed on southbound Macleod Trail south of 162 Avenue S.E. / Sun Valley Boulevard from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily on Wednesday, August 3 to Friday August 5.
- Access to southbound Macleod Trail from the shopping Centre located north of 162 Avenue S.E. will close to accommodate the next phase of construction. Traffic will be required to exit the shopping Centre at the west entrance on Shawville Boulevard and connect to either 162 Avenue S.E. or Shawnessy Boulevard to access Macleod Trail.
- NEW: The right lane will be closed on eastbound Glenmore Trail at Ogden Road / 24 Street S.E. from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, August 4.
- The right lane of northbound and southbound 52 Street S.E. is closed at Glenmore Trail S.E. daily from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Monday, August 1. This closure continues daily during these hours and also from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, August 6 and Sunday, August 7.
- The Shepard Road access south of Glenmore is closed. There will be a new access created at 24 Street S.E. south of Glenmore Trail, west of the existing Shepard Road alignment. Traffic requiring to access Shepard Road south of Glenmore Trial will be detoured via the new 24 Street S.E. exit and then along 86 Avenue S.E. to reconnect with Shepard Road. There will be limited business access north of 86 Avenue S.E. on Shepard Road after detour in place. In addition, the eastbound lanes on Glenmore Trail will be re-aligned into the next stage of construction. The eastbound and westbound lanes will be separated with two new intersections created. Ogden Road will have some alignment shifts north of Glenmore Trail to accommodate these traffic changes.
The right lane of northbound 8 Street S.W. is closed between 8 Avenue S.W. and 10 Avenue S.W. beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, July 25. This closure continues until 7 p.m. on Thursday, August 25 and accommodates work on the pedestrian underpass.
10 Avenue S.W. is reduced to a single lane in each direction west of 8 Street S.W. until 3 p.m. on Friday, August 26 due to Transportation Infrastructure work.
The right lane of southbound 8 Street S.W. between 8 Avenue and 10 Avenue S.W. is closed until October 2016. The west sidewalk on 8 Street S.W. in this stretch will be closed. This closure accommodates work on the 8 Street S.W. underpass project.
The right lane of northbound 4 Street S.W. is closed at 15 Avenue S.W. daily from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. beginning on Tuesday, May 10. This closure continues daily during these hours until further notice and accommodates utility work.
- The northbound exit ramps from Crowchild Trail S.W. to Flanders Avenue S.W. are currently closed until late 2016. Motorists will be unable to access Flanders Avenue S.W. via northbound Crowchild Trail S.W. Motorists are advised to use 33 Avenue S.W. or 50 Avenue S.W. via Crowchild Trail as alternate routes.
- Caen Avenue (from the Currie Business Park entrance to Quesnay Wood Drive) is closed to allow for the utility work necessary for the Interchange construction. This stretch of Caen Avenue will be closed until late 2016. A temporary off-ramp provides access into the Currie Business Park, from Crowchild Trail South to Battleford Avenue.
- Construction work has begun on Richard Road and eastbound Flanders Avenue. Traffic on Richard Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction (north and sound bound).
Lake Chaparral Kids of Steel Triathlon - Saturday, August 6 from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- There will be various lane closures on Chaparral Boulevard S.E., Chaparral Drive S.E. and Chapala Drive S.E.
- Watch for pedestrians and cyclists in the area.
Lake Chaparral Adults Triathlon - Sunday, August 7 from 8 a.m. to noon
- There will be various lane closures on Chaparral Drive S.E., 194 Avenue S.E. and Chapala Drive S.E.
- Watch for pedestrians and cyclists in the area.
Penbrooke Meadows Bridge
The pedestrian bridge connecting Penedo Way S.E. across CN Rail tracks will be closed for structural rehabilitation work from Monday, July 25 until the beginning of September.
Prince’s Island Park Bridge
The Prince’s Island Park pedestrian bridge to Memorial Drive will be partially closed until September 2016 and accommodates replacement of a non-slip coating.
The Peace Bridge will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. from Monday, July 18 until Thursday, August 10 for bridge repair. This closure will not occur every night as it is weather dependant. This closure is related to work on Peace Bridge panel replacement.
For more information visit Alberta Transportation’s website.
Follow The City of Calgary’s Transportation Department on Twitter for up to date information on road closures, projects and all of Transportations’ services at @yyctransport.
Visit Calgary.ca/trafficinfo for up-to-date road closure and incident information.