Calgary, AB,
15
October
2019
|
22:51
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews get quick knock down of northeast kitchen fire

At approximately 11:20 Tuesday morning, a passerby noticed smoke coming from a townhouse at the 400 block of 64 Avenue N.E. and quickly called  9-1-1 to report the fire.  Calgary fire crews arrived to find thick dark smoke coming from the front door. Firefighters did a search of the residence and found nobody left inside. The fire which originated in the kitchen, was quickly extinguished.

Two adults with a two week old infant evacuated prior to CFD arrival on scene. The family was assessed for injuries by on scene EMS personnel. Two adults from a neighbouring unit were also evacuated as a precaution. 

Calgary Fire Department fire investigators are on scene to determine the exact origin and cause of this fire. The residence was not equipped with working smoke alarms. The suite of origin sustained fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout. The family of five including two school aged children who were not home at the time of the incident,  are displaced while repairs are completed. The neighbouring unit was not affected by the fire.

The Calgary Fire Department responds to kitchen fires every single day. This fire is currently still under investigation however the most common cause of kitchen fires is cooking left unattended. Here are some tips to help you stay safe in the kitchen:

  • Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling, or broiling food. Turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.
  • Always keep a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan has cooled.
  • Never pour water on a cooking pan grease fire.
  • Never discharge a portable fire extinguisher into a grease fire because it will spread the fire.
  • When in doubt, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. After you leave, call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or a neighbor’s telephone.
  • Ensure your home has working smoke alarms on every level. Test them monthly and change the batteries annually. Replace battery operated and hardwired alarms after 10 years.
  • Plan and practise your escape. Have two ways out of every room.

For more fire safety information, visit www.calgary.ca/fire

-30-