August paving projects rejuvenate major routes
Three large scale projects are ramping up in August at 14 Street N.W., John Laurie Boulevard N.W. and Macleod Trail S.E.
Roads Construction Manager Barry Poon explains that this work is necessary to keep the transportation network running smoothly. “The City of Calgary prides itself on using good materials and keeping our roads in good condition through proper preventative maintenance and rehabilitation. Major thoroughfares like 14 Street N.W., John Laurie Boulevard N.W. and Macleod Trail S.E. are rehabilitated every twelve to fifteen years. This year, The City and its road building industry contracted partners are working on 12 major projects compared with six or seven in a typical season.”
Typically during a construction season projects are scheduled throughout the summer to reduce impact to motorists. Due to the substantial amount of rainfall in July, the window for completing these projects has been shortened considerably. As a result, Calgarians may notice more construction than usual on our roadways. For more information on paving projects, visit Calgary.ca/paving and scroll down to the “Larger road construction projects” section.
Below are some details on the larger projects happening in August that will have an impact on motorists. Keep in mind that work schedules are subject to change due to inclement weather.
14 Street N.W.
Traffic will be reduced to a single lane in each direction on 14 Street N.W. in four separate stages from 8 Avenue N.W. to Memorial Drive N.W. This work accommodates base repairs under certain stretches of the road, milling and paving work. This work begins on Monday, August 8 and is expected to last through September 2016.
- Beginning on Monday, August 8, southbound 14 Street N.W. will be closed from 8 Avenue N.W. to 2 Avenue N.W. and a two-way traffic pattern will be in place in the northbound lanes through this stretch. This closure is expected to continue until August 16.
- Beginning on August 18, southbound 2 Avenue N.W. will be closed from 2 Avenue N.W. to Memorial Drive N.W. and a two-way traffic pattern will be in place in the northbound lanes through this stretch. This closure is expected to continue until August 27.
- Southbound intersections of Kensington Road and 5 Avenue N.W. will be paved on the weekend starting the evening of Friday, August 26.
- The northbound lanes will be completed in similar sections beginning in late August and into September, weather permitting.
Turn restrictions will be in place along this closure, and motorists are advised to use alternate routes during construction. These closures are expected to last through September 2016 and accommodate road reconstruction and paving work.
John Laurie Boulevard N.W.
John Laurie Boulevard will have reduced lanes in each direction between McKnight Boulevard and 14 Street N.W. beginning on Friday, August 5, weather permitting.
- Base repairs will occur in the eastbound lanes of John Laurie Boulevard from 40 Avenue N.W. to McKnight Boulevard N.W. beginning on Friday, August 5.
- Milling of the existing asphalt is scheduled to occur August 13-14.
- Paving begins Saturday, August 20 and is scheduled to go through August 30.
Macleod Trail S.E.
Reduced lanes will be in place along Macleod Trail S.E. from 34 Avenue to 58 Avenue S.E. beginning on Friday, August 19.
- Milling work will be taking place in the northbound lanes between 58 Avenue and 34 Avenue S.E. beginning in the evening of Friday, August 19 through Sunday, August 21.
- Milling in the southbound lanes begins on Friday, August 26 through Sunday, August 28.
- Paving is scheduled to begin in the northbound lanes on Sunday, August 21. It will continue through September 3.
We recommend that Calgarians use alternate routes when possible, and ask that they exercise patience and caution when driving through construction zones.
For more information on paving, visit Calgary.ca/paving.