Seeking Stolen Property Owners
The Calgary Police Service has arrested four youth in connection with numerous car prowlings in the Riverbend area last night, and are seeking public assistance to return the stolen property to the rightful owners.
Sometime between 1:40 a.m., and 2:40 a.m., this morning, Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014, police were called to the Riverbend area for reports of car prowlings. With assistance from HAWCS, officers from District 6 were able to apprehend four 16-year-old boys. The boys had numerous personal items in their possession, believed to have been taken from vehicles in the area.
The investigation continues and officers are asking anyone who may have been a victim of a car prowling in the community of Riverbend to contact police to report any stolen property. Victims may call the non-emergency number 403-266-1234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Citizens are always encouraged to report car prowlings or suspicious activity to police. This not only helps direct resources to problem areas, but also facilitates the return of stolen property to rightful owners.
The following are tips to help prevent car prowlings:
- Report any suspicious activity or behaviour, such as someone trying door handles on parked vehicles.
- Garage openers should not be left in vehicles, or should be disengaged, as thieves can use them to gain entry into a home.
- Avoid parking in unlit areas at night.
- Lock your doors and close all windows at all times, even while you are in your yard.
- Hide your valuables out of sight, or better yet, take them with you.
- Don’t keep extra keys in your vehicle.