Man Charged with Smash and Grabs
The Calgary Police Service has completed an operation targeting drug-fuelled smash and grab breaks-ins around the city’s northeast. It’s believed the businesses were targeted in order to gain quick cash to be used to purchase drugs.
On Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2015, District 5 members concluded Operation Smashed Glass in an effort to quell the number of impacted businesses by this type of crime.
During the operation, officers were able to catch red-handed an offender as he exited a business in the 5700 block of Falsbridge Drive N.E. The man was arrested and taken to hospital to be treated for cuts he sustained from broken glass at the scene.
In total, investigators believe the accused is responsible for 10 separate break and enters where rocks or other projectiles were thrown through business windows and items or cash stolen.
Barry Dean NIELSEN, 44, of no fixed address in Calgary, is now charged with 10 counts of break and enter. The locations of the offences are as follows:
- Tux and Bridal #101, 5700 Falsbridge Dr. N.E.
- Kabab Hut #155, 5120 47 St. N.E.
- Halal Meats and Grocery #810, 5075 Falconridge Blvd. N.E.
- La Jawab Restaurant #900 – 5075 Falconridge Blvd. N.E.
- McKnight Village Car Wash 5509 Falsbridge Dr. N.E.
- Saigon Passion – #400, 5075 Falconridge Blvd. N.E.
- Ok Foods – #1023, 5075 Falconridge Blvd. N.E.
- Shawarma Palace 5208 Falsbridge Dr. N.E.
- Deepali Fashions 5075 Falconridge Blvd. N.E.
- A residence in the 5000 block of Falconridge Boulevard N.E.
The CPS recommends businesses never keep cash on site overnight and leaving cash registers open and in plain sight so offenders know the til is empty.
This investigation is ongoing.