Man charged in series of bank robberies
A man previously charged for a July 2015 bank robbery has been linked to several other bank robberies that occurred in June and July of 2015.
At approximately 1:40 p.m. on Wednesday, July 15, 2015, a man robbed the TD Canada Trust located in the 9600 block of Macleod Trail S.W. Once inside, he presented a note indicating he was armed and demanded money.
The man obtained an undisclosed amount of cash and fled the bank. After fleeing the bank, the suspect was located by police and arrested without incident.
Joel Scott MACDONALD, 24, of Calgary, was arrested on five outstanding warrants and charged with one count of robbery in relation to the July 15 robbery.
On Tuesday, Sept. 8, 2015, MACDONALD was charged with five additional counts of bank robbery. In each robbery, MACDONALD acted alone and obtained an undisclosed amount of cash. The robberies linked to MACDONALD occurred:
- On Wednesday, June 10, 2015, at approximately 1 p.m. at the BMO located in the 9600 block of Macleod Trail S;
- On Saturday, June 20, 2015, at approximately 3:30 p.m. at the BMO located in the 10000 block of Elbow Drive S.W.;
- On Saturday, June 27, 2015, at approximately 3 p.m. at the TD Canada Trust located in the 10800 block of Macleod Trail S;
- On Friday, July 3, 2015, at approximately 1:15 p.m. at the CIBC located in the 10100 block of Southport Road S.W.; and
- On Friday, July 10, 2015, at approximately 2:15 p.m. at the RBC located in the 200 block of Shawville Blvd. S.E.
MACDONALD’s next court date is Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2015.