Man charged in nighttime break and enter
The Calgary Police Service has charged a prolific break and enter suspect.
Just before midnight, Monday, Nov. 16, 2015, a husband and wife were asleep in their apartment in the 800 block of 8 Avenue S.W., when they awoke to suspicious noises in their home. The husband went into the living room where he confronted a man and called police. The man then produced a pair of scissors, aiming them at the home owners and fled the apartment.
Responding police units located a man matching the description of the suspect in the area of 6 Avenue and 8 Street S.W. The man was taken into custody, at which time he was found to be in possession of a number of break and enter tools, key fobs, key cards and house keys.
Steven John KLARIC, 40, was charged with break and enter to commit an offence, and possession of break-in instruments. He will next appear in court on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2015.
Police are asking for Calgarians’ help to prevent break and enters, property and vehicle theft by:
- Always locking vehicle, garage and house doors, even if you are nearby or only leaving for a short period of time. It may help to establish a routine where you check all doors and windows before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Not leaving vehicles unattended with the keys inside, and making sure spare keys are kept in a secure location not in or around your vehicle.
- Hiding or removing valuables, including garage door openers, from your vehicle so that they are not visible to people walking by.
- Securing your vehicle if you need to leave it running by either locking the doors or using a steering wheel lock so it cannot be driven easily.
- Reporting any suspicious activity to police immediately by calling 403-266-1234, or 9-1-1 if there is a crime in progress.