Calgary, AB,
27
January
2016
|
18:26
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to multiple odour complaints due to damaged gas line

At approximately 7:35 this morning, Calgary fire crews responded to Symons Valley Parkway and 14th Street NW for reports of the smell of natural gas. Upon an investigation of the area, firefighters discovered a natural gas line had been damaged as a result of excavation at that location. ATCO Gas and a CFD Hazardous Materials team were then immediately called to the incident.

ATCO Gas successfully shut down the gas line stopping the flow of gas shortly after 10:00 a.m. CFD Haz Mat firefighters were conducting continual air monitoring during the incident to ensure public safety. The wind direction and speed were helpful in dissipating the gas, thereby reducing risk to the people in the area.

911 had received multiple calls from the Coventry Hills area regarding odour complaints. The Calgary Fire Department thoroughly investigated all of these concerns and is now confident that they were related to the damaged natural gas line on Symons Valley Parkway NW.

There were no injuries reported as a result of this incident.

-30-