Break-ins in south Calgary
The Calgary Police Service has laid charges in relation to several break and enters in south Calgary, and reminds all citizens to take steps to prevent break-ins.
Between Sunday, October 19, 2014 and Sunday, October 26, 2014, 16 break-ins occurred in the communities of Evergreen, Millrise, Auburn Bay, Silverado and Chaparral.
In many cases, the culprits gained entry into garages by removing garage door remotes from vehicles on the driveway or entered open garages.
In some cases, the culprits entered the home through unlocked doors between the garage and house, often taking keys to vehicles and other property. In one incident, a culprit committed a break-in, and returned two days later and attempted to steal a vehicle using stolen keys.
Charges have been laid against several people in relation to six incidents, at least four of which were related. The investigation continues into the other cases, to determine if any of these incidents are related.
It is important to note that these incidents can happen anywhere in the city, and all Calgarians are urged to take steps to protect themselves.
- Ensure all vehicles are locked, with the windows up.
- Hide or preferably remove all valuables, keys, garage door openers and other property from unattended vehicles.
- Ensure all home and garage doors, patio doors and windows are secured even when you are home, day or night, including the door from an attached garage to the house.
- Develop a routine to make sure the garage doors have been closed and secured. Don’t drive away from your home until you’ve seen the garage door close completely.
- Check all vehicles, doors and windows before turning in for the night.
- Consider installing home and vehicle alarm systems and vehicle anti-theft devices.
- Let your neighbours know if they’ve left doors open or vehicles unlocked.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Calgary Police Service (403) 266-1234. If you believe a crime is in progress, please call 911.
Anyone with information on any break-in or vehicle theft is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:
TEXT: tttTIPS to 274637