Auto Theft Awareness
The Calgary Police Service is currently seeing a large number of vehicle thefts each week and is asking residents, and business owners to be vigilant.
Approximately 130 vehicles per week, or approximately 19 vehicles per day, are being stolen across the city.
Transport companies, auto storage companies, rental companies and private vehicle owners have been the target of thieves both through planned thefts, and crimes of opportunity. These stolen vehicles are often then used in the commission of other offences posing a danger to the public and officers.
Companies in the auto industry are asked to ensure they have a thorough security system, and that vehicle keys are kept in a tightly-secured location.
As the weather gets colder, private vehicle owners are asked to not leave their vehicles running with the keys in the ignition. The Auto Theft Unit has also seen a trend in a number of vehicles being stolen as a result of previous theft of keys. This has occurred in cases involving the theft of keys from homes, purses, lockers at recreation facilities and auto repair shop after hours key drop boxes.
Tips to prevent vehicle theft and car prowling:
- Don’t leave spare keys in your vehicle. This includes keys left under floor mats or inside fuel-filler areas.
- Don’t leave spare keys in an adjacent vehicle at a residence, or inside an unlocked garage.
- Never leave your car unattended while the keys are in the ignition. It takes less than a minute for a vehicle to be stolen while running.
- Report any suspicious activity or behavior, such as someone trying door handles on parked vehicles.
- Garage openers should not be left in vehicles, or should be disengaged, as thieves can use them to gain entry into a home where they often find keys for the vehicle nearby.
- Avoid parking in unlit areas at night.
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle.
Anyone with information about auto theft offences is asked to call police at 403-266-1234 or you can contact Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:
TEXT: tttTIPS to 274637