Calgary, AB,
15
April
2015
|
17:33
America/Denver

Natural gas smell forces evacuation of down town building

 

 

 

At 9:00 this morning, the Calgary Fire Department was called to a 15 story residential high rise at the 200 block of 13th Avenue SW for reports of a strong smell of natural gas in the building. A plumber who was called to the address earlier, reacted quickly by shutting off gas to the building and calling 911. On arrival, Calgary fire crews evacuated the building resulting in the temporary displacement of approximately 25 residents. ATCO Gas was also called to the scene. An investigation found the source of the natural gas to be the mechanical failure of a rooftop heating unit. The CFD Haz Mat team assessed every floor for gas levels to ensure the building was safe for re-entry by the residents. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. 

-30-