Calgary firefighters extinguish basement fire in Castleridge
At approximately 7:00 this evening, the Calgary Fire Department was dispatched to the 100 block of Castlebrook Way NE for reports of a house fire. Smoke was visible from two blocks away and the first arriving crews saw large volumes of smoke pouring out of the open front door on arrival. Firefighters initiated an aggressive interior fire attack while making their way to the basement.
The fire was quickly knocked down in a basement bedroom and the fire damage was contained to the room of origin. High capacity fans were used to pressurize the house to remove smoke that had migrated through the entire structure. There is smoke damage to other parts of the house.
Working smoke alarms were activated in the home, allowing one adult and three children to self-evacuate prior to CFD arrival. Firefighters remain at the scene conducting overhaul and salvage operations. There were no injuries reported as a result of this fire.
A Calgary Fire Department investigator is on scene to determine the origin and cause of this fire.
The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens that working smoke alarms can save lives. Ensure you have a smoke alarm on every level of your home and near sleeping areas. Test them once a month and if battery operated, change the battery once per year. Both hardwired and battery operated smoke alarms expire after 10 years and need to be replaced.