Calgary, AB,
04
March
2015
|
20:35
America/Denver

Calgary Fire Depatment crews fight a basement fire in Silver Springs

 

 

 

At approximately 10:00 this morning 911 received a call from an alarm company regarding the activation of smoke alarms in a residence on Silver Mead Cres. NW. On arrival and investigation, firefighters found a fire in the basement of the home. Nobody was home at the time and fire crews quickly extinguished the blaze. The four level split home sustained significant fire damage to the lower level with smoke damage throughout. No injuries were reported as a result of this fire and Calgary Fire Department Fire Investigators on scene have determined that this fire was accidental in nature and due to a candle which ignited nearby combustibles.

The Calgary Fire Department would like to remind citizens that candles should be used with constant adult supervision and extinguished upon leaving the room. Have smoke alarms on every level and near bedrooms testing them monthly. Replace batteries yearly and replace smoke alarms every 10 years whether hard-wired or battery operated.

-30-