Calgary Fire Department evacuates 25 homes due to damaged gas line in Harvest Hills
Just after 6:00 this evening, the Calgary Fire Department was called to the 500 block of Harvest Hills Drive NE for a damaged natural gas line. A three inch gas line was struck during excavation at that location. 25 homes with approximately 45 residents have been temporarily evacuated as a safety precaution. Calgary Transit buses are being used to shelter the evacuees until their homes are deemed safe for re-entry. ATCO gas is on scene to shut of the gas line and commence repairs. Local traffic has been effected and is being rerouted at Harvest Hills Drive and Harvest Hills BLVD NE. The Calgary Fire Department and ATCO Gas hope to have residents back in their homes later this evening. Fire crews and ATCO employees will assess the safety of each home before evacuees are allowed back in. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.