Calgary fire crews respond to early morning damaged gas line in S.W.
At approximately 1:40 a.m. on Thursday, July 26, the Calgary Fire Department responded to the 1800 block of Sirocco Dr. SW for reports of a large gas leak . Upon arrival, firefighters found an above ground gas line outside a strip mall that had been damaged.
As a safety precaution, the immediate area was evacuated and secured.
ENMAX was called in to temporarily shut down power, affecting approximately 600 residents in the surrounding neighbourhood. ATCO Gas shut off gas to the damaged line.
Calgary fire crews continually monitored gas levels in the area. Once the flow of gas was stopped by ATCO, firefighters started ventilating all of the businesses to remove any residual gas.
ENMAX started restoring power to the affected residences and businesses in the area and ATCO has started repairs on the damaged line. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. Anybody with information on the cause of the damaged gas line is asked to please email to firstname.lastname@example.org