Calgary, AB,
18
March
2019
|
22:24
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews quickly extinguish north east garage fire

At approximately 10:50 a.m. on Monday, March 18th, Calgary fire crews responded to Castlefall Road North East for reports of a garage fire. When firefighters arrived on scene, they saw smoke coming from the attached garage of a single family home. Three occupants had safely evacuated the residence prior to Calgary Fire Department  (CFD) arrival on scene.

Fire crews quickly knocked down the flames, limiting fire and smoke damage to the garage and its contents. The two vehicles parked inside sustained heat and smoke damage. 

A CFD fire investigator who attended the scene determined that the fire was accidental and a result of a hot plate left unattended. The hot plate was near combustibles in the garage which subsequently ignited from the building heat. When one of the residents in the house smelled something burning, she went to investigate and was met with heavy smoke as she opened the door.to the garage.

The residents took the right steps when they encountered the fire. They got out quickly and called 9-1-1.

Fire can double is size every 30-45 seconds and the sooner fire crews can start responding, the quicker the fire can be extinguished, limiting damage and spread of  the fire to other homes.

For more information on fire safety and fire prevention, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire

-30-