Calgary, AB,
29
May
2019
|
21:05
America/Denver

Calgary fire crews respond to south east building for damaged gas line

At approximately noon on Wednesday May 29, Calgary fire crews were called to the 1100 block of 58 Avenue S.E. for reports of a damaged gas line. The caller to 9-1-1 stated that a hanging heater inside of the building had been accidentally struck by a forklift thus breaking the gas line and causing natural gas to start filling the space. An employee immediately pulled the fire alarm so that staff were alerted to the emergency and could quickly and safely evacuate the building. 

When fire crews arrived on scene, all employees had exited the building and no injuries were reported. Firefighters shut off the gas and ATCO was called to the scene to follow up on the damage. Fire crews commenced ventilation to clear the gas from the building.

Once firefighters determine that levels in the building have returned to zero, employees will be allowed back inside which is anticipated to be within the hour.

-30-