Twenty-five charges laid in stolen vehicle investigation
The Calgary Police Service District Operations Team has concluded an investigation which recovered nine stolen vehicles and resulted in 25 charges being laid against two individuals.
On Wednesday, Dec. 27, 2016, District 2 officers located six stolen vehicles within a 100-metre radius of the 2400 block of 33 Street S.W. Officers identified two possible suspects, a man and a woman, who were living at a residence in the area. Later that evening, the male suspect was observed by police to be operating a stolen vehicle. The man fled from police at a high rate of speed.
On Thursday, Dec. 28, 2016, at approximately 8:30 a.m., the same man was observed attempting to steal a truck parked in the Somerset-Bridlewood LRT parking lot, however, the attempt was unsuccessful due to a steering wheel lock used by the vehicle’s owner. It is alleged he then attempted to steal another truck parked in a parking lot in the 500 block of 75 Avenue S.W. Items were taken from both vehicles.
Later that day, he allegedly stole another truck located in a parking lot in the 1200 block of 37 Street S.W. During this incident, the owner of the vehicle attempted to intervene in the theft and opened the driver’s side door. The suspect hit the gas, while the owner was holding onto the door, dragging him for approximately 100 metres. At this time, the suspect stopped the vehicle, ran to another previously stolen vehicle and fled the scene. The vehicle owner was uninjured in this incident.
At approximately 1 p.m., HAWCS located the stolen vehicle and the male and female suspects getting into a cab outside a residence in the 2400 block of 33 Street S.W. Marked units conducted a traffic stop and took both suspects into custody without incident.
Sebastian Thomas TAIT, 22, of Calgary, has been charged with:
- One count of possession of a controlled substance
- Two counts of theft of a motor vehicle
- Two counts of attempted theft of a motor vehicle
- One count of possession of stolen property over $5,000
- Six counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000
- One count of dangerous driving
- Two counts of theft under $5,000
- One count of identity theft
- One count of theft of a credit card
- Two counts of breaching a court order
- Two counts of driving uninsured
- Two counts of driving while suspended
Samantha Lynne POOLE, 23, of Calgary, has been charged with one count of possession of stolen property over $5,000 and one count of breaching a probation order.
TAIT and POOLE will next appear in court on Monday, Jan. 9, 2017.
Stolen vehicles continue to be a problem for the Service and can often have a great impact to public safety. Stolen vehicles are known to be linked to other crimes, including robberies, break and enters, drug activity and high-risk criminal driving behaviours. Citizens are encouraged to help prevent auto thefts by:
- Reporting suspicious people and activity by calling 403-266-1234 or 9-1-1 for a crime in progress.
- Never leaving a running vehicle unattended and always keep the doors locked. Vehicles with push-button starts can be driven away if a thief gets into the vehicle.
- Using a steering wheel lock to deter thieves.
- Never leaving spare keys or garage door openers in or around your vehicle.
- Never leaving children unattended in a running vehicle.
Case # 16685077/4854