Applications for PARK(ing) Day designs now being accepted
CALGARY — The City of Calgary and the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects are encouraging citizens, artists and designers to transform an everyday parking stall into an experimental design for International PARK(ing) Day on September 20. Applications for participation are now being accepted.
International PARK(ing) Day, which takes place annually on the third Friday of September, transforms parking spaces around the globe into parks, playgrounds, BBQ parties, and gardens.
“We are encouraging Calgarians to participate in this around-the-globe initiative and transform more than a dozen parking stalls along Kensington Road into livable and creative spaces,” said Kate Zago, planner, The City of Calgary.
First started in 2005 in San Francisco, PARK(ing) Day has become a global success by repurposing this underutilized land use type at nominal costs. This has created opportunities for social interaction and community conversations.
“Interest in PARK(ing) Day has been growing each of the four years The City has been hosting this event, making this a popular urban design community activity,” Zago said.
New this year, The City welcomes the Alberta Association of Landscape Architects in partnership and through this partnership is granting five PARK(ing) Day awards for: most interactive; most creative; most colourful; judge’s choice; and people’s favourite.
Anyone can submit an application to participate by August 14. Space is limited.
PARK(ing) stall design considerations are as follows:
- Allotted space is 2.4 metres by 6 metres
- Must be temporary
- Must incorporate a 4’ high protective fence to separate the installation from vehicular traffic
- Installations should be sturdy and safe, while not interfering with traffic
- Signage is limited to two posters, no larger than 11 by 17 inches, that serve the sole purpose of acknowledging the creators, funders and organizers of the PARK(ing) Day installation
- Installation will require one representative at minimum, on-site during the entire event.
Those interested in taking part in PARK(ing) Day can get more information and the application form at calgary.ca/parkingday.