2016 Property tax bills
CALGARY –Tax bills for approximately 480,000 residential and non-residential properties were mailed today. By next week all property owners should have received their property tax bill in the mail. Property owners who have not received their property tax bill by the first week of June should contact 311 to obtain a copy of their bill.
Property taxes are due Thursday, June 30. A late payment penalty of seven per cent will be applied to any unpaid portion of property taxes on July 1 and October 1. Further penalties of one per cent will be added on the first day of each month to any portion remaining unpaid after December 31.
The property tax deadline does not apply to property owners who pay monthly through The City’s Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP). More than 250,000 property owners have joined TIPP and pay their taxes monthly. Property owners can join TIPP at any time by visiting the Web site at www.calgary.ca/TIPP to request an agreement or by calling 311.
Help is available to assist eligible low-income homeowners who meet income guidelines and eligibility criteria, regardless of age. For more information or to download an application form visit www.calgary.ca/fairentry.
Property taxes are an essential source of The City’s overall revenue and necessary to help fund local services including:
- Police and emergency services
- Public transit, roads, street cleaning and road maintenance
- Care and maintenance of parks, pathways and playgrounds
- Bylaw enforcement
- Environmental promotion and protection
- Contributions to operating costs of cultural and recreational facilities including the Calgary Zoo, Heritage Park, Arts Commons, TELUS World of Science, Calgary Economic Development, libraries and City-owned pools, arenas, art centres, fitness facilities and sports fields.
To learn more about how The City invests property tax dollars visit our website at www.calgary.ca/ourfinances .
Public Contact Information:
Property Tax Information Line
For media inquiries, please contact:
The City of Calgary Media Line,